Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dumb question - changing the battery

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Badali, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Ok guys don't laugh at me - when I change the battery on my VTR250 do I take off the negative or positive first? I only ask because I've been told 2 different ways by 2 different people.... :? :?: :?:

2. Always take off the negative first. That way if whatever metal tool you're using to loosen the connection of the positive touches the frame it won't be spot-welded to it. When putting it back in positive goes on first for the same reason.

3. +1 to JD.

It is safer to take the Negative off first and put back last.

4. Best practice is to remove whichever terminal is earthed first. Usually this is the negative terminal. Connecting back up is the opposite so negative on last.

In 99.99% of vehicles (Sourced from the 'close enuf' bureau of statistics) negative is earthed to the frame, removing it first means theres no chance of shorting the battery by ham-fistedly sticking your spanner across the positive terminal and the bike frame.

In reality - doesn't really make a difference unless you really are clumsy enough to short your terminal to your frame (I use a screwdriver on my battery terminals so would have to be rally inventive to close the circuit).

hope that helps.

5. thanks guys, exactly as I thought (and did in the end....)

6. Not Dumb. The dumbest question is the one you didn't ask.

V8