Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dumb fuel question

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by dan, May 27, 2005.

  1. My R6 manual says the following:

    "Your Yamaha engine has been designed to use premium unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number [(R+M)/2] of 91 or higher, or a research octane number of 95 or higher. If knocking (or pinging) occurs, use a gasoline of a different brand. Use of unleaded fuel will extend spark plug life and reduce maintenance costs."

    What's the difference between a pump octane and a research octane? :eek: :LOL:

    I run BP or Mobil premium usually, and that works fine... yes I've read the other threads too. :wink:
  2. yup this is one of those questions that comes around every other month or so,

    The VTR dont like anything less than 98 octain , so my preference goes ...
    BP Ultimate
    MOBIL Synergy
    CALTEX vortex

    Shell never ever :p
  3. Research is place just on the outskirts of Melbourne...it means you have to buy your petrol there.....lol.
  4. I used to live in Warrandyte too! Damn, I should have brought a few milk cartons worth up with me when I moved. :LOL:
  5. :?


    No one in Oz uses the pump octane number.

    The octane rating you see at the pump is RON.


  6. bingo....just keep using premo and ull be fine
  7. thanks you two, thanks what I thought.