Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dude, where's my licence plate?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Beza, Nov 24, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

I got to work this morning and heading back from the coffee shop I notice my plate was missing looks like it has snapped off along with my rego holder.

Anyone ever had to get a new plate and rego holder? And what's the go with riding it until they turn up?

2. i would report it to the police ASAP either inform them it snapped off or it was stolen.. then head to the RTA with the Police report and the RTA can issue you a new set

3. wowsers, are Victorian number-plates PLASTIC? I can't imagine how a metal (NSW) plate could have broken off at the corners like that.....

4. i still have qld plates on my bike (changing next week) and my plate is held on by cable ties lol.. same thing the corners snapped off mine and qld plates are metal

5. Off to the police to make a report, be funny if they pinged me for a FE...not.

6. Had to replace mine recently, it cracked badly on each corner where it was attached, was caused by some bumpy roads when I was doing the Snowy ride, also lost my number plate cover :-(

I think it was caused by the weight of my cylindrical rego holder that was bolted to the bottom, anyway, $29 to get a new one issued, around 4-5 working days for delivery..

7. in that case the bike must be generating some serious vibration

8. Ahh that must be it because I had the same set up as you, had my cylindrical rego holder attached to the plate.

9. Think again Hornet. One of the guys I ride with has a KLR650, his number plate snapped in roughly the same spot. He also had the rego tube attached at the bottom of the number plate.

10. I've lost two plates:

I had one stolen from the bike. It was probably kids, but I informed police and licensing immediately. The plates in WA are aluminium and hence reasonably easy to pull off if they try.

The second one looked more like the problem here. It cracked and fell off. The aluminium cracks easily over time if you have a lot of large vibrations. I live on a gravel road, and over summer it gets corrugated. Things get shaken off the cars and the bikes. I also lost a part of the bracket that holds the number plate, and had to do some welding to fix it. Also, no rego labels in WA. I thought we were behind everyone else.

11. I can buy that because the KLR would be making significantly more high-frequency vibration than the Zed, but still......

My back number plate has been on the bike since 1998, I guess. I think some of the passion for abbreviating the rear fenders leads to increasing levels of vibration reaching the number plate (?).

12. I think a fender eliminator would be less stressful on the number plate, if you think about it, a plate on a long rear fender, would move more when vibrating than something mounted closer to the bikes sub-frame, in my case, with the extra weight of the rego holder, it appears to have been enough to cause the plate to start cracking.

I kid you not though, a road we took up near Cooma had undulations on most corners, was probably caused by logging trucks, I remember one corner that I swear bounced me sideways by about a foot or two from my original line once I got around it, like riding on corrugations but on a corner..

13. I think you're exactly wrong about the fender eliminator situation; a large plastic fender acts as a vibration damper, while a number plate bolted directly to the frame is in the first line of fire for vibration.....

14. I am currently in dispute with the RTA because they refused to replace a cracked number plate under "not fit for purpose" which is a requirement for replacement under the Trade Practices Act. The manager refused it and so I have lodged a dispute with the Ombudsman, have lost plates before and it is bullshhit that you have to buy a new one when you lost it using it normally and how it was intended. They need to make them out of plastic so they don't snap or something.

This dispute is now in the 4th month. Funnily I sold the bike that I first raised the dispute on but the Ombudsman is still investigating the issue. I want a ruling that it should be replaced if it is lost under normal use circumstances as it is a common issue for riders.

Someone should do the same at Vicroads etc.

15. Not basing my statements on anything other than a pretty laymans understanding of vibrations/movement, I am thinking along the lines of the further an object is from its pivot point, that being where its attached to the bike, the faster the movement at the end furthest from the pivot point???

If you are talking straight, mild vibrations then yeah I suppose what you say would be true, the flex in the fender would absorb some of the energy of the vibrations..

So my thinking, along with my experience recently, suggest strong, violent vibrations/movement would cause a worse effect on the plate, that being further affected by the rego holder weight..

16. I'm not talking about vibrations as induced by riding, road bumps, etc, I'm talking about high-frequency vibrations that are generated by the motor and even if the motor is damped, travel though the frame of the bike. You might have noticed that sometimes people post up here that their hands a 'tingly' after riding; often this is due to the bars on the bike not being damped by the bar-end weights (some people take them off and put on small mirrors, or light-weight alloy replacements).

Any way, I guess that's not really central to the problem of getting home from work with no rear plate; I'd be ringing the rozzers and notifying of it being missing.

And I don't suppose there's any possibility that the plate might have been deliberately removed by someone, and today is the first time you've noticed?????

17. There a very small chance it was removed by a person but it was maybe a 15min window of opportunity. But given it was parked out front of work and the coffee shop is across the road I think I would have seen someone.

I know it was there before I left home because I have to unlock a chain from around the back wheel so I would of noticed it missing.

I'd say somewhere between Geelong and Melbourne it's snapped off along the freeway. Now I get to spend my lunch at VicRoads *joy*

18. Cool, so I was thinking of a different scenario to what you were, yes I agree it would provide a damping effect from engine & low level vibrations..

19. You'll find it lodged in the helmet of the bike that was following this morning.