Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by 1DUKE, Apr 1, 2007.

1. I am looking to buy a new Duke.

The question is ST3 or ST3s!!
    About $2500 difference between the two and I don't want to lash out on either bike till I get some opinions.

My boy racer days are long gone and I'm returning to riding after quite a few years, so sachs V's ohlins leaves me clueless.
    ABS, well I never had it before and am still here , soooo.

Thanks for your thoughts.
  2. Over to you, Sgt Scumbag :LOL:!!
  3. What are all the differences?

Will the $2,500 be a strain to meet? If not, I wouldn't hesitate in getting the higher specced up model. Have done it with all my cars, and you not only get the benefit of having the extra goodies, but you also win at trade in time as well, with I'd imagine around $2K extra - so they've only really cost you $500 for ownership.

Good luck with it all
  4. The Ohlin's Unit will probably be easier and quicker to adjust. Especially, if it has a preload adjuster knob. This is handy if you are going to carry a pillion and extra gear. You may want to drop your load in a hurry and go for a quick spin shortly afterwards.
    You usually get more bang for your buck if you upspec.

I should add that I added my Ohlins after four months of riding the new babe. They didn't have it in stock at the the time of purchase. The difference between Sachs and Ohlins was the adjustability and the ride: way more smooth.
  5. Back in my day I test rode an ST2 and ST4. I couldn't pick the difference, but the mate riding with me bought the ST4. Reckoned the upspec engine and suspension was worth it. He knew what he was talking about.