Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ducati Streetfighter 848

1. #1 mickH, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    mickH submitted a new showcase item:

Ducati Streetfighter 848

• Like Like x 2
  2. Great looking bike!

I'm so jealous
  3. Congrats, nice bike. The Street Fighter is one of my favourite naked bikes
  4. Congrats, beautiful looking bike.
  5. Thanks guys. I'm loving it thus far, though I may invest in a more comfortable seat if I don't just decide to toughen up.
  6. Great bike, congrats.
  7. Nice one. Any more pix?
  8. I do have a few more pics... I took the bike for some laps of a quiet car park for some low speed practice, which was as good an opportunity as any to get some happy snaps.

The bike doesn't love low revving, so it is taking a bit of adjusting to (the CB400 didn't seem to care about anything, it just did what it was told to do). But once you get to about 5k RPM things start to get pretty awesome.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Beautiful - Ducati make gorgeous motorcycles thats for sure!
  10. Absolutely wicked wheels! I'm jealous! Congrats
  11. Get the comfort seat, makes all the difference...and get some termis too..worth the extra coin.
  12. Thanks for the tips :) And, nice colour choice (assuming the avatar matches / is your bike); I kind of wanted yellow, but it had been discontinued by the time I was able to buy.

I think I'm getting used to the seat, but I'll look at the comfort seats before I do any longer riding. Does the comfort seat ease the crushing of the "gentleman's region" against the tank at all?

Termis are in the long term plan. I think I'll slowly upgrade to stave the inevitable desire to change bikes sometime in the future :)
  13. Lovely....

Regarding low rpm shuddering and on/off throttle response down low - check out a A/F module called the FatDuc - does wonders for highly strung Italian twins.

Give Dave Ward at Moto Italia a call - top bloke.
  14. Cool thanks, I'll do some reading on the FatDuc (initial glance looks promising). At the moment I'm just taking corners a bit faster to keep the revs up and using /abusing the clutch a little.

Realistically, the low rev quirks are something I was prepared for and it's all worth it as far at I'm concerned :)
  15. Fatduc works awesome. Simply plug in and get a dyno tune
  16. Nice bike. Brings out the hoon in you?!!
    Enjoy. Its amazing that naked bikes actually don't have the amount of wind that one expects.

17. The comfort seat grips a lot better, so yes it saves the gentlemans region....

With the termis you get the ecu flash which does help with the low rev issues, it's not perfect but perfectly acceptable and a big improvement over standard.
  18. Two months in and about 2,300km ridden, I am definitely keeping this bike for the foreseeable future. My butt has clearly hardened to the seat (it feels fine now), squeezing a bit more with the knees is becoming part of the natural braking procedure (to maintain a bit of gentlemanly comfort), and I'm getting used to the choppy throttle response down low to the point where its become a non-event.

The only minor gripe I have is the range between fuel stops, I seem to be getting about 170ish kms before the fuel light comes on. It only seems to take about 9.5litres if I stop immediately upon the fuel light illuminating (so the fuel economy is more than acceptable IMHO), but it is a little inconvenient to stop so often. Dare I drop $3k on an aluminium tank for the extra 3l?

Side note (mods please feel free to delete if deemed inappropriate): Super happy with the service provided by Frasers in Concord at the 1000km mark; will be more than happy to leave my bike with them in the future :)
  19. How's the bike for commuting? I see the comments on low rev 'hiccups' - is this an issue in slow traffic?
  20. Many people accustomed to inline motors will always have difficulties in the beginning with the low end thump you get from a Ducati. You should be able to cruise as low as about 3,000rpm without chugging all over the road.
    Nothing a bit of seat time will not fix, alternatively a sprocket change.

If you want a real challenge, try a 1X98 that also has a dry clutch.

Have fun on it!
    • Like Like x 1