Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ducati research

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Marg Hendo, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Hi All,
    I'm a lecturer at Univ of Qld and bike rider, and I'm writing a chapter on motorbikes for a book, Beautiful Objects in Popular Culture. I'm researching why we (riders and fans, not 'experts') choose one type of bike and reckon it's the best (is it style? performance? whatever). For me, I think the Ducati 916/996/998 is the best bike, so that's the topic of the chapter. I'm not trying to prove or disprove the claim. I just want to find out why we think that particular bike is so good. So it would be great to hear from you on why the 916/996/998 is the best bike or best Ducati. Your responses can be as long or as short as you like.

Thanks for your help,

Marg Henderson
  2. Well there is no question that the v-twin sound of a duke is a winner. The roaring sound is well recognised and its definately well loved by all.

Ducati in a way is known as the Ferrari in the motorbike world...so of course people are attracted to things that are out of reach or hard to come by.

The Ducati incorporates great looks, with great performance and is a great package all round. Yet i still prefer an Aprilia.

Just my 2 cents.
  3. hmm.. i prefer the mv augusta :p
  4. Ducatis are nice bikes but cost shitloads to service.
  5. We like particular bikes, because we can see ourselves on them.
    If we can't afford what we want, we make ourselves be able to see ourselves on the ones we can. Every bike has a certain image that certain people relate to - from fat harley riding gang members, to adrenaline junky R1 racers.
    At least thats my semi-drunk opinion, based on my experience of the bikes I like.
    I'd like a CBR250RR but I cant afford it. A ninja is still cool tho right??
    RIGHT?? *panics*

Ducatis suck.

6. Ducati's used to be an uncommon bike and hard work to own being very high maintenance. They they brought out the pantah range and the auro exclusivity started waning.

Now days all you need are deep pockets, same thing has happened to Harley Davidsons.

So sorry, I can't exactly tell you why Ducati's latest crotch rocket is the best... coz I don't feel like it is :)

7. smee wrote

10,000 service on a 2 valve cost me $450. Add a bit more for the 20,000 belt change.

I wouldn't call that "shitloads"

You are of course right about the nice bikes part
  8. I have to disagree on a couple of counts there Marty. I think that if you ask most people about Ducati, they would mention (in some way...maybe not exactly as most people have no idea about detail, especially when it comes to bikes :p ) that the look of the 916/996/998 is timeless and classic Ducati. They will also have something to say about the classic Ducati sound (which was a point of concern for Ducati with their recent survey for Ducatisti) and, whether you love it or hate it, that wonderful dry clutch rattle can never be replaced by the very common sound of drowning mosquitos created by many Jap bikes.

The cost factor is also, in many respects, and motorcycling myth. I have found servicing my Duke relatively expensive as I used to do a lot of the servicing on my old bikes myself. There is also something about making sure your pride and joy is well maintained. Mine may be dirty and battle-scarred, but its been serviced every 5000kms (Ducati recommends every 10000kms) and considering its done 56000kms in two and a half years, some of my service intervals have been only a few weeks apart. Any bike would be expensive with those sorts of figures!

When I was shopping around for bikes, I hadn't even considered Ducati as I believed it to be too far out of my price range. Imagine my surprise and delight when I found I could buy the bike that was EXACTLY what I wanted for the same price on-road as the Japenese bike I THOUGHT I wanted (2002 Blade) with all those fabulous features (suspension, brakes, etc.) standard instead of being optional aftermarket purchases! A lot of people probably wouldn't consider a Ducat as a practical bike purchase as they wouldn't think of a Ferrari as a practical car purchase, however, the days of Ducati unreliability and inaccessability to the average biker are long gone.

I think you'll find that many of the Japanese bikes out there handle well on the road, but even my "poor girl's Ducati" will handle as well, if not better on the road. Its just that most people haven't ridden a Ducati to compare (and many would not even give the marque a fair go due to the undeserving stigma attached to being seen on a Ducati). Maybe its cos most Japanese bike riders couldn't handle the power, beauty, torque, sound, rattle, rumble, wheel-spin and all round fun of a classic brand of motorcycle!! :p :twisted:

My last comment is.....who wants to be common and ride a bike they would see many times over on the road? I am lucky to see another SS on the road in a month!

I'll step away now and let the mud-slinging in my general direction begin!!

:D :D :D
  9. Am I right in thinking the 916/996/998 Ducatis and the F4 Agusta were all designed by Massimo Tamburini (along with the MV Brutale)?

They're all wonderful examples of mobile sculpture. Hours of viewing pleasure. Of course, that matters a great deal to some people, and not at all to others.
  10. oh god this could be an interesting thread. smee, don't see how the service costs of ducatis affect it's ability to be a "beautiful object in popular culture"! 8-[

I think manny made a good point that beauty in motorcycles is as much cultural as it is asthetical... harley riders would have different opinions to jap bike riders etc.

When I think of beautiful motorcycles, i think not only of the lines and geometry of a design but it's sound and rideability, and the mystique and exclusivity that surrounds the bike. Ducati certainly fit the mould, as do the MV's - as gromit points out Massimo Tamburini surely deserves a mention in such a chapter!

Can't help pick between the 916,996,998,999 though, they are all beatiful in their own way. Just pick the most expensive one and call it the most beautiful! :LOL: :LOL:

Anyway, should be an interesting read Marg, I hope you post a copy of the finished article.
  11. Hmmm, astehtics are always a personal thing ;-) My taste is that most Ducati's I find to be quite Ugly and the Multistrada being possible the ugliest bike currently on the market. Having said that the only Ducati's I did like the styling of was the 998,748's pictured in Marty's posting above. I also like the new shapes of the 749 and 999. The others (no offense Lil ;-) I find to be too boxy.

12. I forgot to mention the trellis style frame as something that typifies Ducati.

Oh Derek, I don't think you could call mine boxy....too many curves to even consider this as a description! The older Supersports, yes, but the modern Ducati???

I wasn't old enough to know (or care!) when they were released, but can anyone tell me if the 916/996/998 styling was considered ugly/wrong/too radical when first released?

13. I think people covet what is unattainable. The most desired vehicles tend to be those which are prohibitively expensive for most people. Ask many riders (and non-riders) what bike they desire and their answer may be 998 or 999. Ask a 998 or 999 owner what bike they desire and they'd probably say 998R or 999 Senna or whatever more exotic model was available but beyond their affordability. Quite simply, at the end of the day if you own it, and you ride it, you discover that it's really no more special than whatever other bike you've ever ridden. Probably similar to the reasons people desire the beautiful people in Hollywood, but why so many of those people get divorced.
  14. Suspension and brakes are optional?

"Sure, you can go fast. But if you want to stop or corner, that's extra."
  15. Crap on would ya. All bikes have had a bad hair day, ducati just seems to have them all the time.
  16. Ducati - SEX ON WHEELS

Cheers 8)
  17. Yes, Jap bikes normally need to get service every 5000kms, Euro bikes get service every 10000kms! Same as Jap cars need to do service twice a year, but Euro cars Once a year, finally work it out not much different for the maintainance cost.
    I'm agree with you! last time I went in to a bike shop in Sydney, which is a multi brand dealer - Yamaha and Honda at one corner, Ducati another corner and Harley Davidson at the other corner. When I get into Ducati corner just walk around, then the saleman asked what he can help, I told him I am still on P Victoria licence, can't get anything over 260cc. Then he told me I can tranfer to NSW licence, and get those 620cc monster. I can't believe that the price of a 620cc Ducati could be less than $15000 brand new Ride-away! (that would be my next bike someday later)

I think since many people found out their price is not SO expensive, more people would think of own one, when more bikes imported in Australia, price for the parts are starting to drop due to the volumn.
  18. :roll:

Ok....so in my enthusiasm I forgot to finish the sentence correctly by saying that the features that are standard on my bike (Ohlins rear and Showa front suspension, etc., etc.,) are an additional expense on most (if not all) Jap bikes.

I find it interesting that people who are passionate about a subject are often pulled up on trivial errors/oversights as a way of glossing over any unfamiliarity or lack of reasonable contribution to that subject.....

19. That's very True!!!! Once you own it, you will want something you still not able to own yet.