Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by oz_johnno, Feb 24, 2011.

1. I went out with my father in law today and had a look at a ducati multistrada 1200s..... sweet bike.

I have always shied away from ducati's in the past because I had the idea of expensive desmo services, shonky italian electrics (push starting a mates monster on several occasions was no fun at all) and the sound of a dry clutch, while music to the ear of some, would simply drive me up the friggin wall.

Ducati really sound like they have hit it out of the park with the 1200s as far as I am concerned, it has a wet clutch, a slipper clutch, good quality german electrics and the cost of servicing the desmo gear was no more expensive than what I used to pay for my valve clearance services on my old zx14.

I also liked the 2 12v outlets (bmw plug), comfy seat and nice upright riding position, as now I have half a hardware store keeping my spine togther I cant really spend much time hunched over the bars any more.

I also liked the ABS and 3 stage traction control as well. The salesman assured me that the traction control meant that you could feel like troy bayliss for just a few seconds while the back steps out a little, but not enough to mean an ambulance ride....

all of this for $31k on road.....

The other bike I was looking at was the kawasaki gtr1400, which just seems a little soulless by comparison and @308kg wet, a bit of a barge to boot.

I dunno, I cant decide, which way should I I go, GTR1400 or ducati ?

2. I'm a little biased, but the multi is a nice bike. It has done really well for Ducati and has received some nice reviews.

The gtr1400 looks to .. well .. meh ...
  3. Easy choice.

4. Very noice!!!!!!!!!!

But my other half saw the price so I'm not allowed to look at it any more :(
  5. I love my Duc's. The 1200 is a great machine that will do all you ask of it. They even look good with the panniers on.
    I've never found the Duc's that bad to service. But I don't keep bikes over 10,000k's. Well my 998, but it is a track bike and I can do most of the servicing myself. I've had 916's, ST2's ST4s's and the 998. Not to mention the old 250 and 450 singles and SS900's. Even had a Darmah...heap of crap. Eeek showing my age.
    Since the yanks took them over build quality and reliability has been as good as the rest. And have never had a warrenty issue with a dealer.
    A road bike isn't about how fast it goes. It's about how it makes you feel. Very few people can push a liter bike to it's limits and hold it on the track let alone the street. Myself included... bugger I'm getting old :(
    That's why asking what would be good for me just don't cut the mustard except .... well what you should be asking is "what should I take for a test ride."
    It's what makes you grin. What makes you glow with pride. And lastly what's in my budget.
    The GT is like a big fat toad compared with the ZX. Very doughy down low. And fat. It's pretty light once it is rolling though. If I had to do the run from Bris to Melbourne once a month I would take the GT.
    If you ride the Duc you will have the cheque book out as soon as you get back. It is that good.
  6. G'day OZ,

I am also a little biased, go the DUC, I love mine. Maybe you should test ride them both and then go the DUC.

cheers George
  7. Yeah I would have test rode one today, but still recovering from my injuries. Still popping 20mg of oxycontin twice a day and some endone in between time as needed

Test riding a $31000 bike when your high is probably not such a good idea.......

I plan to keep my next bike for a long time. In the 2 years I had my zx14 I put 63500km on the clock. The good part about the kwaka is that it is well sorted and ultra reliable. I only hope the duc is up to the job

8. get a monster then :)
  9. a little biased?!? lol

nethertheless...i agree. go the duc.
  10. Good to see you are out looking. When are you going to be riding?
  11. go for it john
  12. I gotta get my balance working properly, get off the pain meds, get signed off by my doc, get re-tested by vicroads, THEN I go to hobart to get beryl...... and its GAME ON MOLLES :)

hopefully in a couple of months

14. Make an annonuncement when. I reckon there will be a few who would love to join in on your first ride back.
  15. +1

Would love to be there.....
  16. The only criticism of the Multi I've seen is that it decks out too early in racetrack mode (but I'd be the last to know).
    If you were considering the GTR I'd have thought the BMW K1600GT would be in the race too, but the Duc's far more glamorous.
  17. If you are seriously considering the Multistrada 1200, and can afford it, there is no better choice. Well, there is the Aprillia Tuono, but . . .

I love my 2005 1000S DS, but the 1200 has a much better engine, much more power, better economy, longer service intervals (hence cheaper servicing, as good or better than Hondas), better electronics all around ( but research if they actually work: www.multistrada.net ), slipper clutch ( I would love one now ), an acceptable wet clutch ( I like the crispness of the dry clutch, but it can become a bit tiring ) and the 1200 retains the crown as the ugliest duckling motorcycle, which is fine by me. :)

I would like to upgrade to the 1200, but I'm waiting a couple of years to see how the electronics go, and to save up the price!

PS: Titus, the settings can be modified in each mode, and saved to that mode. So if it decks out too early in "racetrack" mode, the setttings just need to be adjusted for the rider. A journo doing a review may not have changed the settings to suit. Even on my 2005 I run pretty stiff suspension these days. The long travel suspension does come with pretty soft settings. It just needs cranking up.

PPS: Johnno, if you want a bike that is the fastest in the group on fast sweepers, the Multistrada isn't the correct choice. While it is fast and very capable, a proper sportsbike will leave it behind. On tight twisty stuff though, it can easily leave a sportsbike behind if the right rider is on it. I have seen some amazing riding on a Multistrada. It seems that taller riders can get the best out of them.
  18. I spent ages looking at a wide variety of bikes last year. I was after my ultimate street bike.

After trying or checking out many other bikes such as the B-King, Z1000, VFR, K1300R I took a test ride on the multistrada and ordered one on the spot. Second place was a BMW K1300R. The multistrada wasnt even originally in my list, I'd gone to look at the streetfighter.

I've done about 5,000 kms on the multi now and it still constantly puts a smile on my face.

I use it to commute, have been down the GOR (damn fun!) and around the Dandenongs, tried two up through the twisties and on potholes and gravel. It does it all very well.

Its very quick off the line too. My Daytona feels damned slow by comparison.

The gearing is very high. This doesn't hamper acceleration because there's so much grunt but it makes 6th gear only useful for freeway speeds. I fear if I reduced the gearing the front tyre would never touch the road though.
  19. Mine is still doing that after 42,500 Km. Especially after spending two weeks riding around Tasmania. :D
  20. Cheers guys...... will do :)