Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ducati Monster620, BMW F650GS or VTR250?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Tourer, May 4, 2006.

1. Which one of these would you put the "FINANCE MONEY" on if you just got your L's and you have never owned a bike before?

I flunked the Pre-Learners at CLYDE on Tuesday, and I'm now fired up to go back and hammer it. I've been calling the RTA for the past two days for early cancellations.

Anyways, I went to FRASERMOTORCYCLES on Parramatter road, told the guy I wanted an R1 and he convinced me that I was "a bit ahead of myself" so I've decided to get the DUCATI M620ie but then i heard that its maintenance is a big hassle, like more often, more expensive, etc and the electronics aren't good either.

2. Since you live in NSW and can have the bigger bike - do it. So that rules out the VTR250. What makes you think the BMW is going to be cheaper than the Duke to maintain??

You are buying a modern Duke the electrics are fine. Servicing okay, it will need one after its first 1K (so should any bike after running in), then if you love it change the oil at 5k (but you should do this on any bike you get). Major service at 10K and then Oil at 15K then major belt service at 20K. So whats the problem? Monster Owners love their bikes and find them very easy to maneouvre around from what I have heard.

Don't forget to factor insurance into the scheme of things too.
  3. So you reckon the maintenance costs would pretty much be the same for all 3 bikes?
  4. The Monster. Cos it's the prettiest and it's cool.

I agree with 748girl. I doubt that the BM will be any cheaper to maintain (BMW certainly know how to charge) and the 250, well it's a 250...
  5. I haven't ridden the LAMS version of the Duc but I've ridden a lot of F650's. The F650 is a first class learners bike- especially with the ABS (in fact it's a first class bike all round ).

It's also an excellent tourer and in everything except absolute straight line performance can cut it with the best of them. You can also get good hard luggage for it. The F650 is a cheap bike to maintain and has no known faults.

There's a (2002) comparison review of the Duc and the BMW here

6. Ok who told you the maintenance was more often. The service intervals on the 620ie are 10 000 km apart. The approximate cost for this should be about the 700 mark. The 20 000 service is more expensive because they also change the timing belts adding cost and time to it. However it should still come in at about 900.
    Be aware if you do not do 10 000 in a year or 20 000 in two years then the belts MUST be changed at the 2 year mark.
    Failure to do so could lead to engine damage if a belt lets go.
    I have not come across a 620 with eletrical problems. The modern Dukes use mostly japanese electronics and so forth.

Hope this helps a little.

(Note. the above is my opinion gained from working in the industry servicing the above mentioned bike and should not be taken as gospel.)

7. The issue with the 620 duke is more that the individual services are more expensive and so are the running costs.

The duke needs belts on a semi regular basis (say every 2 years) which is an *ouchy* expensive service, it has chain drive and sprockets (say every 2 to 3 years) and it's got twice as many of most things as the Beemer so things just naturally cost more.

The Beemer has a belt drive (good for at least 80000kms and more like 120000 if looked after). It's a single cylinder so you only have 1 of most things to service (which makes servicing dead easy).

Having said that the baby Duke has the fact that it's a duke and looks like the bigger monsters...

Head would say BMW 650.

Heart would say Duke 620.

Only in a state without LAMS would I suggest the VTR250.
  8. What is the BOTTOM LINE of running costs for all three bikes?

Also, is it really THAT easy to do it yourself if you have the hearts to learn it?

How much would you save then?

(people tell me that maintenance on a bike could be more than that of a car in some cases.....)
  9. Monster 620 has a fairly large turning circle, you will be struggling to pass the P course with her. (Yes it can be done, just harder).

Monster only has to be serviced every 10k after the 1k.

It's a bloody expensive bike for a learner, and if you've failed your learners course, you're going to drop her...

I got mine after a leaner smashed her at 1200 km, ripped off the restrictor and fixed her up.

BTW, the costs from a stationary parking lot drop, when someone knocked her over without telling me, was over $600, and that's with me ordering in the parts direct (mirror, bar end, gear lever, left indicator).

And my monster had electrical problems I just sorted out.
  10. servicing the monster means pulling the engine almost completely apart. Everything is hidden deep within. It's why the servicing costs more.

A minor service of a VTR is easily done by anyone.

No idea on the F650.

But, you've listed bikes that all have very different seating positions and styles (okay the VTR and Monster are similar).
  11. If riding offroad sometimes, go the beemer. If cruising to cafes, impressing the opposite sex and the odd blast up the twisties is your thing, go the Monster.
  12. I bought a used VTR thinking, as a person who has not ridden before it should last me for a while. However, i've become so use to it in the past couple of months I really want to upgrade to a larger engine bike.

For city commuting it performs well. It even has street cred for those naked lovers.

But if you want to take it on the open road (later when your unrestricted off course :wink: ) and do 100km/h+, the poor thing is screaming at 7000rpm.

Factor in your long term and short term use.
  13. When I look at purchasing a bike there are several things that I immediately do not worry about:

1: Fuel economy. Coming off a VTR1000, fuel economy was either the last thing on your mind or the first. ie Where is the next servo ASAP or twisting the throttle to the stop just cost me $43. When doing track days, beanie clad, hemp wearing greepeace protestors would chant at me to stop using a 3 rd of the worlds oil in a weekend.

2. Pillion comfort. Risking your life and limb on a murderboike is a inherently selfish pursuit, so who cares if your pillion has a numb arse or not. As long as you get the stirring in your lions when you ride fast. That's why I ride alone...

(How tough did that sound everybody. If only they knew the truth :LOL: )

3. Servicing costs. You first service bill should have you jumping over the counter at the bike store threatning to kill the service managers family for charging such high pricing. Either that or buy a spanner or two (In my case 475 assorted tools) and delude yourself into thinking it's cheaper to service the bike yourself.

This is why I will end up with a Ducati 998R and biatch to every one that will listen, about the lack of pillion seat, service costs and fuel economy.
  14. I am sure I can help take all your money off you in your pursuit of the 998R. Just come into my office young man.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  15. Then you shall be the first service manager that I strangle with an insane look in my eyes. :LOL:
  16. As has already been said, forget the 250 immediately and irrevocably. A lot depends on what kind of riding you intend to do. I have owned a Monster, not a 620 a 750, and I loved it for about 45 minutes each time I rode it. In the end I had to admit that it is a great bike for a short blast or a pose, but if you really intend to go any distance it's just not what it was designed for. I ride a 'loaner' F650 Dakar when my R1150R goes in for a service and it too is a great bike. It's a real buzz in traffic, but watch the wide bars when splitting. On the open road its a dream, smooth (for a single) torquey and economical. Soooo I reckon give some thought to what kind of riding you really will be doing and choose accordingly.
  17. The Honda because it's the cheapest to repair and easiest to learn on.

Personally, I'd take the Duca. :)
  18. I went for the Monster and I've toured on it. :cool:
  19. How did you flunk the pre learners course?

I would have thought being a "pre-learners course" it would be difficult to fail considering the course is designed for sombody who has never ridden a bike before.
  20. After I put some risers on the monster to sort out the crink in my shoulder, long days became a breeze.

Knees go a little after about 4-5 hours, but everything else is fine.