Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ducati Monster questions

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by heinrich, Sep 17, 2007.

1. hey guys i just test rode a 695, my first ride on a monster ever and loved it.

i know id be happy with the 695 except for the soft front suspension which i felt like it was noise diving. i test rode a FZ1N back to back with it and i could feel a big difference when braking quickly.

im also thinking about the s2r800 or s2r1000.

1. the s2r800 has non adjustable forks also but is said to be more sport focussed, so is the front suspension stiffer?
    or do i have to bite the bullet and go the 1000 with adjustable suspension

2. is the 800 and s2r1000 better handling than the 695 as my primary use would be weekend riding

3. how would a monster s2r1000 compare with a FZ1N riding spiritedly on windy roads? as the test ride didnt give me enough time or ability to compare.

2. my dads friend larry has the 800. I have a 620 sport/supersport and my dad has a sports classic. The forks are softer at the front than both of ours, that said, the seating position on the monster, dosnt vault u foward except when braking. The brakes on the dukes are always top notch.
  3. Just do it !
    Its not the bike, its the culture that comes with it.

If you intend the use the S2R for touring, forget it, crap fuel range.
  4. Hmm, I can't do the comparison for you, but I can tell you that any bike will dive if you jab the brakes instead of squeezing them. It's easy to do on my Ducati Mutlistrada, and I have Ohlin suspension. I don't have them set very stiff, but they track the road and hang on extremely well. Diving is definitely not a problem.

The 992cc L-Twin engine in the S2R1000 is basically the same as my Multistrada. It's a nice engine, lots of torque, forgiving and flexible, and not over powered. The S2R1000 would do very well in the twisties, but so would the 695 or 800. :grin:

You could probably get either the 695 or 800's suspension re-valved or change springs if you really wanted them stiffer, even though they are not adustable. You just need to get the suspension set up by someone who knows what they are doing.

I think any of those Ducatis would be a good choice, if you aren't going to tour it. The 695 would be a fun weekender. Mind you, I'd be tempted by a Triumph Daytona 675 if I was buying now, just for a weekender.
  5. thanks for the respsonses guys.
    maybe it could be a case of just jabbing it rather than being progressive but i wanted to test them out :)

ive got ride-a-way prices for the s2r800 at $16,200 and $18,200 for the s2r1000 so ill have to see how much i can get off otherwise ill have to go 2nd hand.

is it too much to ask for $16k for the 1000? seeing 18.2k is basically rrp.
    id like to go the whole hog :grin:
  6. Better hope your dealer has the S2r 800/S2r 1000 in stock, cause NFI have none and you'll be like me.....

waiting until late Oct early Nov for more stock.
  7. I have the 695 and I can't say I find the front forks distressingly soft, even under heavy braking. I guess the question to ask yourself is whether you think you'll be doing more cornering or emergency stops? The 695 handles bumps really well, even mid corner and I have no doubt you'd need to be an above average rider to be able to use it to its full potential on the road.

I test rode the 800 as well and didn't find the handling significantly better. Although the 695 has less torque than the 800 it has almost identical power and is 10kg lighter, so it's no slouch on the road.

The S2R 1000 is a wonderful bike. There are a few little details on the S2R that I wish the 695 had, but they're mainly cosmetic. I'd buy the 695 again in a heartbeat.

I doubt you'll get much in the way of a discount, Ducati are having a fantastic year thanks to a young fella named Stoner and two little bikes you may have heard of, the Hypermotard and the 1098. I paid retail for the 695, $14,300 on road, but I've had close to a thousand dollars in discounts on other stuff from the dealer, so I'm pretty happy with how that's working out.
  8. You summed it up pretty well bangalla.

Here is to many more years of ducati greatness /me points at the 1098 winning the amcn bike of the year.
  9. I feel that the adjustable suspension comes in handy for spirited track riding and is worth the extra coin.