Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ducati gearchange problem solved (eventually)

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by incitatus, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Well there I was, on the Ducati, going for it through the Perth hills near Gidgegannup, braking into a fast right hander, lots of front, a dab of rear to steady her head, a down change.....err what the f*ck!...NO down change!....lots more front brake, panicky counter shove on the bars, just made it with about four inches between the front tyre and the pea gravel. After regaining my composure I checked out the gearbox. I found that while I could change up ok, down changes had been almost completely deleted from the gearbox. I discovered that if I waited long enough, (maybe 30 seconds between tries) I could eventually change down one gear at a time about every 4 or 5 attempts.

After the long limp home I set about figuring out the problem, and started with the idea that I had somehow bent the selector fork. I didn't really want to dive straight into dismantling the gearbox though, so I started the normal process of elimination, beginning with the clutch. Was it disengaging fully? I checked the basics, like fluid and lever throw, and they seemed ok, so I decided to bleed it just in case.

One hour and a lot of brake fluid later I proved conclusively that there was nothing wrong with the clutch, and I had just wasted an hour. Next idea was the rear-set linkage, (anything to avoid thinking bent selector fork), I checked the adjustment and throw, and all was well, so back to the drawing board. So far I had spent around two hours on the job and was no closer to a solution, the bent selector fork was looking more likely by the minute.

Next idea was to change the oil, as I hadn't done so since I got the bike. Another hour and a half later later, after driving to get some oil, draining and refilling, and an abortive test ride, I sat on my toolbox beside the bike and finally accepted that the gearbox would have to come apart, and being a Ducati that was going to be a can of very expensive worms. I decided that I had had enough for the day, and started to put the cover on as soon as she cooled down, when suddenly I heard a tiny 'click', and saw the gearchange move very slightly from the corner of my peripheral vision. On investigation I found that when depressed and released, the gearchange appeared to return all the way, but was in fact stopping about 2mm early. I applied some spray liquid grease to the pivot, and worked the pedal a few times until it returned that last 2mm, and heart in my mouth went for a ride........bliss, absolute bliss, not only was the problem gone, but the changes were quicker and smoother than before.

So several hours of wasted time, and a lot of worry later, it proved to be just a slightly sticking gearchange pedal that was not returning fully enough to disengage between changes. I was not a case of not being able to make the next change, but of actually finishing the previous one just two measly mm short of full disengagement. Now I have never had this before in 40 years of riding, so if this helps anybody else avoid the hassle I had, then I won't feel those hours were totally wasted. Keep those gearchange pivots lubed boys and girls, and don't waste a perfectly good afternoon like I did.
  2. Inci, love the way you tell a story!

Seruously, who'da thunk it, it was that simple?

One for the books, that's certain.
  3. Friggin pieces of tempremental Italian junk. I told you not to buy it...

Mark heads off to sort out braking shudder on the Aprilia...
  4. My brother has a ducati 900ssfe which has a similar problem - apparently there is a ridiculous little spring in the gearbox that aids the return motion of the gear change. He wisely chose to put a cover on the bike and take a holiday rather than tackle the gearbox.. If you have the problem again, I imagine you can use your foot to push the lever back into place between gearchanges - my brother certainly became quite adept at "ducati" gear changes!
  5. Inci Inci Inci you should have known better

Wht do you think the italians used heel and toe gearshifts

Ha Ha

Seriously all laverdas have remote gear shift mechs 3 screws and pop a cover to get at them.

Which also means you fro ever at them to get them to work properly :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Glad to here you fixed it mate