Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ducati first to make a wireless integrated bike and jacket air bag combo

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by robsalvv, Mar 25, 2014.

1. http://www.inautonews.com/ducati-first-motorcycle-maker-to-introduce-airbags

Ducati, First Motorcycle Maker to Introduce Airbags

The Italian motorcycle manufacturer Ducati has recently unveiled the Multistrada D-Air, which is the first production bike ever made to include a wireless integrated airbag jacket system.

Ducati has previously proven its dedication to enhanced safety with its Ducati Safety Pack which includes multi-level ABS and traction control. The Italian company has really managed to take the motorcycle safety to the next level and become the first motorcycle maker to build a bike with a wireless integrated airbag jacket system. The product is the result of a fruitful collaboration between Ducati and Dainese, the world renowned riding gear manufacturer.

According to the company, intelligent passive safety sensors have been included in the existing Multistrada electronics and so the vehicle’s dynamic situation is constantly analyzed and understood. If the system detects the crash is a genuine accident it will deploy the rider and the passenger’s jacket airbag in only 45 milliseconds.

Although German automaker BMW has presented something similar in 2013 at the EICMA show, Ducati has managed to market the ides and take a step further. The Italian company says it expects to have the Ducati Multistrada D-Air model available for sale on April 15, but only for the European customers for the moment.

Ducati is owned by Audi through its Italian subsidiary Lamborghini – after the German carmaker payed $1.12 billion in 2012.

= = = =

2. A couple of issues.

1) How does it determine a 'real' crash in its three dimensions then send that signal to the jacket (ie the bike may have sudden power disruption etc prior to sending the signal) vs the standard separation of bike and rider
    2) Wireless would be subject to interferance and other sources of problems (shielding of tramitter vs receiver) so how are they going to protect against that? Is it Wifi or Bluetooth or something proprietry?

Cheers Spocky
  3. Can't wait to get the hack for that trigger and then set them off when they are sitting around at the coffee shop.
    • Like Like x 8
  4. I know Dainese make these "airbag" jackets. I assume with it you need to add something to your bike to trigger it. I'm assuming all there doing here is building the "part" into the bike to start with rather than adding it as an aftermarket part.

I believe its the same technology as they use in the MotoGP & WSBK etc.

Would be very funny to be able to trigger the suit while someone is having a coffee though!
  5. Interesting. I would really like more info, like what "wireless" system they are using, and what triggers the jacket going off. I don't dismiss it out of hand, but would like to know more before I bought them. I assume the bike runs fine if you don't wear the jacket, and I assume you can use the jacket on a mates bike. What if I buy one, and so does the wife?

Lots of questions, too few answers today.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Thanks. A bit more info there. It looks like some promising technology. I would be interested in the high side aspect as throwing yourself at the tarmac from 2 metres up seems like it does a lot of damage. Food for thought in the future...