Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ducati 848 Handlebar Vibration

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by MdMa, Dec 7, 2009.

1. My father recently picked up an 848 and complains of a very slight vibration in the handle (more pronounced on the throttle), and after some time on the freeway his hand almost went numb.

Has anyone heard of this?

If it is a common problem is there a quick and easy way to fix it?

He read somewhere by changing to Ohlins suspension would eliminate the problem.. any truth to that?
  2. Yeah, that's easy and will only cost you another 5 grand.

I'd investigate heavier bar-ends, rubber mounting the clipons etc to dampen the vibes... or cruise in a different gear to change the frequency!
  3. What DH said, plus check the front tyre for uneven wear/deterioration and or balance. :)
  4. Foam grips,plus the heavier bar end weights,works on my supposedly perfectly balanced 90deg V twin Pantah.It also helps if you dont take all your weight on the bars,use you stomach muscles,also maybe look for slightly higher bars.
  5. Perfect PRIMARY balance, there's still secondary vibration (or maybe the other way around, my memory not so good). Go the Pantah, though, I would like to own (or at least ride!) one, one day. Very nice looking machine.

On the 848, try heavier/differently weighted bar ends, the bars are resonating from vibes induced by the engine: you won't be able to completely remove the vibes, but you can change the frequency to one that's not as annoying. It might take some trial & error to get it right.

Only change one thing at a time though, because the bars & everything on them act as a system, changing multiple things at once may not get you anywhere.

Oh, & trying to keeps his grip in the bars very light may help too....
  6. Its called a parallel 3 or 4 cylinder :)
  7. I dunno. I've known a few four pots that have had a finger numbing buzz too.
  8. One thing my father is not interested in is trial and error. I would also assume he does not want to change the way he grips the bars.

If money is no concern will upgrading to the Ohlins FGRT 803's solve this issue?
  9. I'd suggest that trial and error with a $40 set of bar end weights is a better idea than trial and error with $5k worth of suspension upgrade.

If it's too much effort, maybe a Duke wasn't the best choice.
  10. Leaning on your wrists will reduce the amount of blood flowing into and out of your fingers,so will sqweezing to hard with your fingers.I fitted swan knecked clipons to my Pantah and that helped.Sports bikes have firmer suspendion than touring bikes,so are harder on your body.Yes going the Ohlins route will
    help,its top of the tree gear so will react and track the road beter but thats not why its used,prime reason is the more spendy the faster you can go.How old is the bike,they do take a bit of time to brake in,has he set the sag in the suspendion,thats the first port of call.Put a cable tie tight on the fork leg and go for a typical ride and measure how much travel you are using,you should be using 95%.Where are you in OZ,after a couple of thousand ks it might be worth seeing a suspendion guro to set it up,Terry Hays is Sydney does mine and works very well.BTW I am 52 and there is no way my body could hack most ultra sports bikes for long,but it would be fun to try
  11. Maybe, maybe not. It might change the resonance, but it might not. It will be trial & error

Possibly a very expensive trial!

If he wants to spend the cash on Ohlins, he shouldn't need an excuse. After it's done, then try out some bar weights to see which ones work best.

Back to square one, $5K poorer. Plus the bar weights.
  12. He doesn't want to spend the money, but he will if it will fix the issue.

Being a noob to the scene, could you guys post some links to bar ends and grips you think will be appropriate.
  13. The vibration is most likely from the engine, not the road (unless there is a tyre problem as VTRBob suggested) and is being transmitted through the frame-steering head-triple clamps-clip-ons. Replacing or even tuning the suspension is unlikely to solve that problem... it would be a very nice upgrade regardless.

It's 168kg 850cc L-Twin Duke - it's going to buzz.

Out of interest, is your dad used to full-on sportsbikes? I mean in terms of body position, weight on wrists, engine characteristics, lack of general comfort?

If money is really no object, why not go the whole hog: http://www.superbike.co.uk/news/Ducati_848S_motorcycle_test_ride_report_news_289911.html

Bar ends come in a massive range of materials, quality, styles and prices. For the top-end stuff look at Valter Moto, Woodcraft, Rizoma, Yoshimura etc. Otherwise there a heaps available cheap on eBay - RatedR parts are a good start, good service, quick postage from Perth.
  14. Awesome.

I have given the information to my father and he will call a few places tomorrow for bar ends.

I will report back with the findings.

Thanks to all for your input.
  15. swap ya for my cbr600. can even fit the ducati fairings if ya want.

vibration problem...solved!!
  16. The hand numbing is caused by secondary imbalance. Both 90deg v-twins and i4s have zero primary imbalance and bad secondary imbalance.

That's why triples rule.
  17. Maybe 120 deg Triples don't but my 180 deg Laverda triple vibrates a lot,but we are inseparable.Love my triple,Pantahs alright as well
  18. Double post
  19. The vibration is caused by the engine, why would new forks or suspension tune have any effect.

My take on this is that the bike is new and the rider is babying the engine while running it in at low rpms causing increased vibs this will reduce as bike is ridden harder in the future.

I would however lower the levers (brake and clutch) so they are in line with your forearms sitting on the bike. This will reduce the pressure required to hold onto the bars and ease the weight on the wrists reducing the numbness.

Then again Ducati probably call it a feature, maybe a less sports orientated bike would have been a better choice.
  20. Loosing feeling in your hands can be caused by vibrations OR harsh suspendion,you get hammers on typicaly rough square edged ozzie back road bumps and end up hanging on too tightly,especaly with ultra sports bikes under brakes,thats where the bumps are and thats where you end up with more weight on your wrists.It all helps,especaly with old barstards like me,slightly lest flexable now.