Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ducati 749 - thrown rod - value?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by IgnisDraconis, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Just after your thoughts on my current predicament.

My 2003 749 has - I am told by the mechanic - most likely thrown a conrod and will require a rebuild or new engine. I am of two minds as to whether to have the latter done - for around 5k - or look to sell the bike in its current state to someone who would be interested in having the work done and/or getting it up and running. It ran fine until this incident, has around 20k on the clock and termi pipes.

Any advice on either option for having the bike fixed and what I might reasonably look offload the bike for would be very much appreciated - I'm really at a loss for what to do!

Cheers for now and thanks for any advice in advance
  2. Also - I hope I put this in the right section - my apologies if not!
  3. In all honesty, if it requires 5k of work you would have to knock up to double that off the sale price. That's assuming a 749 is still worth 10k.

As for it ran fine up until this incident, yes possibly, but conrods generally don't get thrown after 20k of standard use.
  4. I'd want a more definite diagnosis of what's wrong.

It could be relatively minor or something that means major work.
  5. If it's thrown a rod, it would have made some very ugly noises and probably made an inspection hole in the side of the block. Sure he didn't mean it spun a bottom end bearing?
  6. I am likewise doubtful on this diagnosis......

If it was me, I'd be getting the bike and getting a second opinion

If it's not telling, who is the mechanic who has diagnosed the thrown rod?
  7. I've seen plenty of these and the earlier 748's spin con-rod bearings out.

Mainly because people use Shell 10W40 oil in them.

Make sure you check the flywheel nut on the LH end of the crankshaft. These can work loose causing a horrible knocking noise as the drive splines eventually get munched.
  8. Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. The diagnosis I am fairly confident with, though the engine has not be taken apart to any significant degree. I'm overseas now and will put it back in for a closer look and possible repair work. What's got me now is whether or not to bother doing this, on a bike that is probably worth 10k all up.

I'll admit too that I'm fairly cheesed off that this has happened - I've owned the bike since it had 13k on the clock and am wondering how hard it was flogged beforehand now.

I wouldn't imagine anyone would be interested in paying 2k as it is now.
  9. say g'day to the peeps on the ducati(dot)org forums.

Someone there might have some ideas regarding where to repair the engine, or where to buy a new one etc.
  10. This sounds like a candidate for parting out, or buying a second hand motor and fitting it yourself.
  11. I'll give ya 500 bucks for it. She's rooted mate:)
  12. Bugger mate. Big bucks. Shame.
    Like has been said. Flywheel nuts. Bearing and rockers. But a rod? I don't think it'sthat common.
    The biggest killer of rods is pre-ignition. Or gudgeon nuts coming loose.
    Or with Duc, the rocker breaking and that locking everything up.
    I would want to find out why it threw the rod before I threw hard earned $$$ at it.
  13. Do the rebuild if you can afford it.

Who knows what kind of life a s/h engine has had?
  14. Hmmm, I can see the wheels and forks on the gsx1100 in the shed. :)

When I'm contemplating engines from wrecks I always wonder how long they were running for after they fell over.
  15. Isn't Shell 10W40 the factory-recommended oil for the 749 series and up? Even the 748 manual says you can use 10W40 for Australian temperature ranges...
  16. Yes. Yes it is. Oh the power of corporate sponsor dollars.

This is not isolated to Australia. This happens everywhere.

In earlier iterations of the Desmoquattro series (read 851, 916, 748) the factory lubrication spec was 15W-50 or 20W-50. The Testastretta crankshaft assembly is essentially the same. They love heavy oil.

Lower end failures have been far more common on the smaller 748 and 749 series engines due to their extremely high (for a v-twin) RPM ceiling.

Transmission failures are now becoming commonplace in the 1098's (and 848's that are raced). Shell is still a major corporate sponsor. Transmissions love heavy oil too.
  17. Hmmm, anyone know what happened with this bike? Looking at buying an old Duke superbike and this is muchos interesante!

18. Haven't seen thus thread in a while...

It's thrown a rod. Unless you got a whole spare engine handy I wouldn't bother.