Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ducati 620IE restrictors

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by AdamR, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Gday,

I've just started out motorcycling and would like to get a Ducati Monster 620IE for my bike. The reason for the Monster is I want to keep it for a few years rather than just have a 250 for 18 months and then upgrade. My other half has a CBR600 so I would like to keep up when I get to my unrestricted licence. The issue I'm currently having is many others have either de restricted them or they weren't to start with. I understand that the Monster has throttle locks, is it possible to put them back on? Or restrict one that initially didn't have the throttle locks put on? Is this legal in the ACT or NSW?

Appreciate the help and advice.

2. It's a five minute job to de-restrict them. I ride a restricted M620ie dark.

I was told that Fraser's were the dealer who were to restrict them when they arrived here, thus making them LAMS. This is reflected on the registration slip. Further, Fraser's can legally de-restrict them, and inform RTA re. same. I suspect they can't be retrospectively restricted, thus leaving very few restricted 620's around.

In it's restricted form, the throttle turns probably only a quarter or so. De-restricted, it's a case of how flexible your wrist is.

You are welcome to have a look at mine depending upon where you are in NSW.

Don't forget to https://netrider.net.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83 :oops:
  3. Cheers Xsploder, are you looking at Selling yours? I'm in sydney but would happily travel a few hours in any direction. If you are what year model is it and how many Km's has it got?
  4. Personally I would suggest a Ducati 600SS from the 1990's. A friend recently bought a '97 model with 24,000km on the dial for $6k and offered me a ride. I thought it was pretty good, and top-notch for a learner bike. The fairing also offered decent protection and looked pretty sharp, in my opinion.

Anywho, I'm not much of a fan of restricted bikes. Whats the claimed power output of the 620 once derestricted, anyway? I know they put out about 30hp in restricted form, but can't see them making much more than 50~60hp when unrestricted. The 600SS puts out around the 50hp mark and is learner legal with no restriction strings attached.

Cheers - boingk