Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ducati 400 f3 (1988)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by shady_knife, Feb 22, 2009.

1. hey

whats the deal with older bikes? how they run? electric start? i've always wanted a bike that was the same year as when i was born... but yeah, kind of hesitant about buying such an old bike... so yeah, tell me anything and everything thats relavant please...
  2. You should have bought a bike when you were 17; then it would have only been 17 years old :rofl:
  3. yeah.... on topic please? need info asap.
  4. Does your post relate to the Ducati 400 or older bikes in general?
  5. both really :)
  6. With older bikes you need to be confident to work on them yourself. The maths just doesn't work otherwise.

As to a late 80's Ducati, they really aren't for the amateur. Ducati didn't start to get it's act together until the Paso and the first of the belt drive 900ss'.

The mid pantahs had an OK reputation, but they are getting very old and worn now.

As to the 400, I can't even remember it being sold here. Later on yes, bot not back then.

So unless someone is basically giving it to you . . . . .
  7. According to many CBR250 owners a 20 year old bike is no less reliable than a new one. ;)

In reality be prepared for corrosion, shot electrics, degraded rubber components and a host of minor little problems occurring regularly (that's if you get a good one - bad ones will just go bang one day and run no more). Replace enough parts and you can have something that's fairly reliable, but keep in mind that parts for a Ducati won't be cheap or easy to find compared with a Japanese bike of the same era.

Of course if there's a particular bike you really want it can be well worth the cost/effort. :)
  8. Well, whenever I pick up something that old the first thing I do is pull it apart and put it back together again. It's the only way to be sure of it's real condition. Are you interested in doing that?
  9. As an Australian delivery that would be a fairly uncommon motorcycle. I have seen one at the Ducati club and know the owner. My understanding is that it would have been more popular in places like Japan.
    The motor would be fairly understressed. It's four years off club plates so worth contemplation and may well be LAMS.
    Belts would need to be queried. :)