Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dual sport to Sports Touring

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by tiggers, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Not a what bike thread, more of a whats the change in riding style?

I've had my KLR650 since the day I passed my L's, I'll be off restrictions early December and thinking of a change to a sports tourer.

I love the KLR but given the type of riding I've been doing in the last year a sports tourer will be more suited i.e never really been off road, except some trails on the in-laws property.

Given I've learn't on a dual sport, are there any real changes I should be aware of or not.

Any advice appreciated

Looking at a GSX750F or Triumph sprint.
  2. Just heavier and faster, the KLR is basically a slow sports tourer anyway. That can be positive and negative. One thing I like about the dual sports is that they don't get you in trouble as much. Also they attract less attention from the cops if you are in the twisties.

I would get the VFR750/800 as the best sport tourer out there, any year after '87 but especially 95-00.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. You'll find that the braking on anything else feels like hitting a wall :D.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Added a braided line on the front - not much different :)
  5. The DR's not exactly sharp either (although it'll slow down hard if you really try). Big wheel, small single disc, not much piston area in the caliper are all issues and pretty much universal on anything that pretends to dirt ability.

Trust me, a good set of twin discs will feel like the bike's about to stand on its nose, even with a porky sports tourer.
  6. Braided brake lines on new bikes are generally a waste of time. Original rubber hoses expand over time so they are not as good and hence a change to braided then is a big difference. Braided never expand so you never get the problem reoccuring.

But if you put braided lines on a new bike, the lines aren't that bad so you don't get much improvement (as you found).

The only way you could fix the brakes on the KLR would be to put a different caliper on or a second disk. That would be expensive and you might also need to upgrade your forks after all that as well.....therefore not worth it on a KLR.

Have you test ridden any bikes, what is your budget anyway. The ZX9s are going cheap as well if you only want to spend less than $5K and are very competent and comfortable.
  7. Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Sporty end of sports touring..
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Did you mean GSX650F? You should probably come sit on mine...
  9. Hey Tiggers, I've got a Z750 which is a great sports tourer. Handles great, has nice acceleration and good brakes. Acceleration and braking are probably the biggest differences to dirt bike riding. A friend of mine's got a VFR750 (now VFR800), which is a good bike too.

Good luck!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. @ Tiggers

I'm on my L's and will be for the next year. I'm seriously looking at buying a new KLR650.

I'm interested if you want to sell yours.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Triggers,
    I am on my second GSX750F and I love them (2000 and 2006). Suits me perfectly. Great commuter and a great weekender tourer that you can ride for a few hours and still be able to walk. Go and do a few test rides and see what feels right for you.
    Happy Hunting.
  12. completely diferent animal.
    vastly diferent weight distribution, much narrower bars, 17 inch front wheel.
    time to learn how to use your thighs and hips.
    good time to do an advanced course or refresher course.
  13. Good call on the z750 - that's on the list

I should have about a 7500 budget, here's what I'm looking at.....in my price range.

GSX750F 2003
    Sprint - 2001 - 2003
    Z750 2003 - 2008
    VFR800 2001 - 2004
  14. For $7500 you should be able to get a top bike. I just picked up a 2006 GSX750F for $2500.

Find the bike you want on eBay and watch it and see what it sells for, that will give you a good indication of market value, not what some one puts ona bike on bike sales. Watched a few GSX750F's on eBay starting at $4000 and none sold. There was a grey 2000 with low k's that needed a little work, chain & sprokets, battery and some fairing work that passed in at $1700.

Happy Hunting!
  15. Hey Guys,

I thought I’d up date this thread, more for myself rather than anything else. As you can see from my pic, I went for a 2000 Triumph Sprint ST with 30k on the clock. The sprint had always been high on the list and it was love at first sight (don’t tell mrs tiggers) and being immaculate I couldn’t resist the sprint charms. I prefer the older model looks, less harsh lines.

So how did the transition go?

Well, I couldn’t ride it for 3 weeks while waiting for my license to upgrade so I spent a lot of evenings polishing it, and to the amusement of my neighbours, a lot of time sitting on it making vrooooom vroom noises under my breath.

Pat mentioned in one of the posts that the brakes would be like hitting a wall compared to the KLR – I found this out before I got to the end of the street. With the KLR you had to give it a hand full to bring it to a stop, of course this is what I did on the sprint - it was my first official stoppie much to my surprise 8-[

So this full first ride out to westhead was a huge learning experience. Initially I struggled with cornering, I felt my lines where right (or close to) but it felt like my SR’s were kicking and making me stiffen up in the arms and shoulder, which was something I’d almost over come on the KLR.

I wasn’t at all comfortable with getting the bloody thing around corners, and then re-read the new riders section and flux post on making the bike dance – bloody helpful. The next series of rides I worked on moving around on the seat, leading into corners with my shoulder and making sure I got my chin out to the mirror, body and foot position, most probably look like a tw@t while I’m working this all out but its fun so who cares?

My cornering is improving all the time, I much more confident on what the bike is capable of – it can certainly out ride me but it’s a relationship we’re working on :D:D - yes we are in a relationship; read in to that what you will!

When I first got the sprint it truly terrified me, but this has developed in to a healthy respect. There is a huge amount still to learn but that’s the thing I’d decided that is best part about riding…the continual learning.

Was it worth it?

Hell yes! I didn’t think I could enjoy riding any more than I did on the KLR, but this is a whole new level – I have found a new level of passion for riding.

Is it 5 O’clock yet…can’t wait for the ride home!!

Thanks for the posts in this thread - you we're all spot on. There can't be a better information resource on the web