Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dual purpose tyres.

Discussion in 'Adventure/Enduro' started by Rolkus, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Hey kids,

As some of you know, I just got a DRZ400, it currently has full road tyres on it.

I go off onto grass and dirt (read mud, Melbourne rains) as often as I can, and the tyres are no good.

I'm no bike wizz, I know next to nothing, so excuse my ignorance.

Should I look at getting dual purpose tyres? I was in AMX the other day and asked for 17" dual purpose tyres. He looked at me like I was an idiot. "They don't make them that small!"

Should I even bother getting dual purpose tyres? I ride road more, and it's been suggested that I just get another set of wheels with dirt tyres on them. But that's significantly more costly, and may need to get new rear sprocket and chain specifically for dirt (or so I've been told).

PS. I explore on this bike, lol.
  2. I had dual purpose or DOT approved knobbies on my old WR. Passable on the road and complete crap in the bush unless it was bone dry and rocky...Mud, pfft may as well have run slicks!
    Get yourself a second set of rims.
  3. they were probably the shit trailwings or you forgot to air them down
  4. Go to Thumpertalk there are countless threads discussing different tires for the DRZ400SM.
    The trailwings are nicknamed deathwings, buyer beware.
    As there the other poster indicated there are plenty of options out there and TT is a great place to start
  5. No smartarse :jerk: they we Michelin, and ran them from 12-16psi on the dirt. As I said, great up Mansfield where it's rocky etc, add water and it was shit house.
  6. they were shit michelins then, or just not made for wet offroad conditions (fair enough, not many people offroad in the wet often)
    which model of dual sport michelin were they?
  7. my Crossrunner is running Pirelli Scorpion Trails on 17" rims so they definitely make them (all depends on your interpretation of dual purpose thought I suppose)
  8. I'm using Trailwings. They are not bad, but mud is slippery for them. Some of the guys on another forum are using Shinko and report they are pretty good. Cheap to or consider the Tourance?
  9. Dunno was too long ago.
  10. Trailbike tyres are always a compromise between road and dirt,
    full offroad knobbies or supermoto slicks and everything in between,
    you have to decide what you want from them

wet grass and mud is slick unless you have full knobbies basically,
    sand dirt 'n gravel are okay with semi road tyres,

i had tyres about 70% road 30% offroad
    they could go 140 on the highway,
    fast in tarmac twisties, supermoto style
    and fast in sand and gravel,
    although knobbies would be faster
    but wear very fast on the road

its only what you want the tyre to do
    what sort of bias between road and off road
    go to a bike shop where you can look at different tyres
    and spot the differences
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. My buddy has same problem also gear ratio , so he going to get a complete second set of wheels ,one for on one for off
  12. For a true 50/50 tyre it's hard to go past the Mitas E-07 or the Heidenau K60 (they are similar designs).

13. all of the above tyres do not suit the fitment of the 17 inch supermoto rims that you have on your drz.

a good option is the avon distanzia, widely used among supermoto road riders for that extra grip offroad but still giving great grip on road. plenty of riders have used these tyres so just have a look through supermotojunkie.com and see what people are saying.

come in supermoto specific compounds to work with the lighter weight and suitable sizes.

some riders will try and find a rear tyre thats that fits on the front, but the problem is the shape of the tyre will not make the bike steer properly.

the 160/60 17 is the correct size for the rear of your drz-sm, as your rear rim width is 4.5 inch.

for racing, we normally use either a pre-cut slick or get full slicks and cut them to suit the traction on the dirt, and if it is very slippery offroad then sometimes we use a racing wet front tyre for a bit extra bite on the front end in the offroad section.
  14. ps. check your tyre pressures as supermoto pressures differ greatly to that of normal roadbikes, for eg i would run 26/26 cold on my street tard for general hoonery then drop that to 24/24 when i would hit the twisties hard.

check this thread out for talk about the distanzia on a drz-sm

ps. in wet mud and clay, you're going to be struggling for good traction with anything than a proper knobby, its all part of the supermoto experience. dont be scared to crash!!
  15. Rolkuss

work out how much dirt you plan doing, if you intend trailering your bike to each 'out of the way' riding areas, then go full knobbies front and rear.

If dual sport (adventure riding) is the plan, and you still need to take in a bit of tar to get to those out of the way places, I'd recommend:

Pirelli MT21 - Front (Dot approved knobby)

Mitas E-07 - Rear (50/50 tyre)

I have found this to be a great combo on my DR650, (also have a mate who runs this combo on his Honda TransAlp).
    The MT21 will surprise you with its ability to grip on the tar =D>
    The E-07 is capable of everything offroad and still handles the tar well, with a range beyond 5000km.
    I have also used a Dunlop D606 (knobby) on the rear, if just riding sand or scub, but they wear fast if you need to slab it anywhere (chewed one out in 1600km once... got caught out and had to be-line it for home)
  16. WTF???? Heaps of people go offroad in the wet....way more fun!!!
  17. I agree with the way more fun part but in my experience people are too chicken!
  18. I run Scorp Trails and I love them. On bitumen. I'd regard them as a pretty much pure road tyre though, irrespective of what the Pirelli marketing blurb might claim.