Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DT200R running on

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Lensman, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Hi all,

The DT was farting and carrying on, i suspected some sort of fuel problem and when I stripped it down I found that the inlet manifold(carby joint) was split. I replaced the manifold and engine runs sweet except that now it runs on a little bit. Specifically,when I gas it up then roll off the throttle it takes a second or 2 before the engine slows.

Can anyone offer some suggestions as to what I should look at?

2. When you had the carby and inlet tract off, you may have accidentally kinked or snagged the throttle cable when you put it all back together.

If you can see the throttle arm on the carby without pulling it down, with the bike off, turn the throttle and watch the arm move. When you release the throttle, check to see if the arm is moving as fast as it should be, if it seems slow, start pulling parts off again till you find the jam. It should move at the same rate, and in the same direction as the throttle grip, at all times. But I have seen a few bikes that only had a single throttle cable, so not sure on your particular set up.

When I was rejetting the carbs in the VTR there was a symptoms sheet for troubleshooting, and one of them was for run on at throttle off, unfortunately I can neither find the sheet, or remember what it said, but hopefully this jogs someone elses memory that might. :grin:
  3. +1, something is kinked, or obstructed in the cabling and it's not 'snapping back' to closed when you roll off. Start hunting.
  4. Heya,

Sorry not to have replied for so long.. I didnt think to provide closure to the thread.

It was indeed a kinked throttle cable! the amazing part is that a new cable cost me 100 bucks.. bloody rude heh.
  5. No worries :)

Glad to hear you're up and running again, commiserations for your wallet.