Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Drying gloves out

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by undii, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Well this is the first time that I have ridden and my gloves are saturated. A couple hours riding @ highway with non stop rain saw to that. I could twist them and drops of coloured water easily came out. Anyway, is drying them naturally in a heated room the best way for leather gloves? The gloves are at http://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=641

I bought some waterproofs today so I don't care about drying ASAP but I just wanted to see if drying gloves is the same for leather jackets etc? Since the gloves can't get aired like pants/jackets, is there any better/recommended way of drying them so they don't become useless?

Ta :grin: Did a search and couldn't find a tips/hints using "drying gloves" in search criteria.
  2. I'd place them flat on a cake cooling rack and let them sit at room temperature. Turn them over after a few hours
  3. .. and then he spreads chocolate icing on them and serves them with hot coffee :LOL:
  4. Drying them in a warm room is all I do.
  5. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  6. if you stick em in front of a fan heater, they'll become nice and crackly and smaller if you bought a pair that were too smooth and too big!
  7. I put wringed out soaked gloves in the oven at the lowest setting [70-80degC] fan forced, turning them over and spinning them around every so often.

The carbon bits go a bit soft but the temperature is too low for damage and it drives ALL the moisture out.

You end up with dead dry gloves that have shrunk a bit but they expand to suit. I was told I really need to recondition them afterwards, but I've never had a problem.

The alternative is layed out infront of a fan heater.

8. I just leave them on the loungeroom coffee table and crank up the heater. :)

Note: Discuss the matter with your flatemates if you intend to do the same with your boots. :wink:
  10. When mine get that wet I stick them fingers up under one of my home's heating ducts in the evening, and in the morning they are nice a dry/warm... If they are a bit stiff, I rub a bit of dubbin on.

Cold mornings + wet gloves = :cry:
    Cold mornings + dry gloves = :)
    Cold mornings + dry gloves + my new heated grips! = :grin:
  11. Ya, heater dry them and then dubbin them,
    last time I got caught out in my summer gloves, by the time I got home my hands were stained black and the gloves were (literally) full of water.
    And I was in my draggins. 45 minute ride home - yay. (I know most of us have been there :p)
  12. I just keep wearing them.
    As soon as it stops raining the wind will dry them.

The black dye is a problem though huh?

If I remember I wear a pair of surgical gloves underneath until they dry out.

Trust me, I'm not a Doctor.
  13. i just put them on wet the next day, but i guess i'm just hardcore.
  14. Either hardcore or forgetful.....
  15. what were we talking about again?
  16. once they've dried. does anyone used a leather cream/conditioner?

im considering using it on my gloves, but i'd like to know if anyone has tried this and failed.
  17. I've used a product from BMW on my BMW gloves. It seemed to do the trick.
  18. SnoSeal $13 from Rays Outdoor
    Good for anything leather :)
  19. I put my on top of a CRT monitor.

20. At work I am like Tenoq and once they stop dripping they go on the computer monitor. At home my bike is garaged so I sit them around the top of the tripple clamp and the heat of the engine dries them out. I am not as hard core as some, I hate putting on wet gloves and will drag out some oldies if they dont dry overnight.