Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Drycell/gel batteries, worth the extra?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by typhoon, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Anyone have experience with these batteries? I keep hearing about how much abuse they will take, their ability to crank an engine really fast, their long life, ability to sit for months without trickle charge etc.
    Are they worth paying double/triple over a conventional lead acid battery?

Regards, Andrew.

2. Have used them both in cars and bikes. Well worth the extra money. They do crank the engine faster, they have a long life, and can sit for months and still hold their charge.

They just provide that confidence that you can come back to your car/bike and know that there will be enough cranking power there.

http://www.optimabatteries.com.au

3. if you aren't going to park the bike for months at a time without using a charger, or are going to sell the bike in a couple of years time or less, it will not be worth the money imo.

ps, I should add that if you take no care of your batteries, you'll probably be better off with one. Otherwise, looking after a standard wet type will get you just as far

4. Used to use them in my old job. Both styles of motorbike batteries on small electric start Honda Vtwin engines up to 24HP.

Odyssey and Decka do a sealed gel-cell 12v battery.
    The Decka is a higher-quality [and larger size battery] suitable for larger vehicles. Wouldn't fit in a bike.
    The Odyssey is a smaller one used in snow-mobiles, motorbikes, small key-start engines etc.

You CAN flatten them
    And you CAN recharge them.

As a gel/dry cell battery, they really come into their own in shipping issues [transport companies won't ship full batteries of acid] - or cold climate/humidity problems.
    As far as quality of battery go - yes, they are good. They are fully charged right out of the box, and will turn your bike over no worries.
    Good idea if your bike is going to be dropped or fall over lots, as they can't leak.

They are heavier than a lead acid bettery.
    They require a SPECIAL recharger, not a standard trickle-charger.

For my money - they are too expensive, and heavy for the bike [unless I lived in a very cold/humid area].
    They have decent cold cranking amps, but the size of the battery means they don't keep it up for a very long time - and if you deaden them, the charge cricuit on your engine/bike doesn't put it all back.

So if your bike starts first time, every-time - you might like to try one.
    If you have to sit there with your thumb on the started some cold nights - stick with the cheaper battery.

Try both if you like. I doubt you will find it an effective solution cost wise - but you may like the sealed battery.
    They market it as a MUCH higher quality battery [and they are BS expensive] but the warranty is usually pretty good on them as a result.

Careful though - you flatten it and charge it with the wrong charger = no warranty.

5. Thanks for the opinions so far. The GTR's battery is buried down in the beast, checking acid levels is a four screw and remove seat job, and even then you can't just eyeball the levels, which is why the zero maintenence type is attractive. I know lack of maintenence kills batteries, when I got my bike the acid levels were very low (due to difficulty of inspection?).
    As for the cold starts, I have moved to a very cold area in winter, so it may be another advantage there. The bike sits outside under a cover and roof, but does start well when cold.
    As for the longevity of the sealed batteries, I know the Odyssey batteres have a two year warranty, which is about the life of a standard lead acid battery in a bike it seems. They claim a six year life out of them, which if true, would put the cost as about equal to a lead acid (two years at 1/3 price versus six years at 3x price).

Regards, Andrew.