Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dry Rider Fabric burnt onto Crome Pipes - How to remove ?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Nthmelbguy, Feb 1, 2006.

1. My dryrider pants have landed on my pipes and melted, I can not fot the love of dog scrape the plastic off. Have tried using heat, petrol, kero, acetic acid. Any tips ?

Please email any helpful suffestions to me.

2. try oven cleaner. I had boot crap and unremovable bugs on my pipes so I sprayed 'easy off' oven cleaner on, started bikeand kept running for 5 minutes to warm up pipes and then it all just wiped off.
    Good Luck.
  3. Cordura is basically just a form of nylon so you should be able to dissolve it using either acetone (nail polish remover) or hydrochloric acid - obviously you need to take care using either chemical though. It may however take some time to work, so don't expect to just spray on and wipe off.
  4. 00 or better 000 grade steelwool and a bit of WD40.
    All from Bunnings/ Kmart/ Autoshops.
    And a minute of elbow grease.
  5. Wet soapy steel wool. If the steel wool leaves any marks, use a fresh piece and rub gradually lighter until any scratch marks dissapear. Keep wet all the time. Polish any marks out with Brasso mixed with kerosine
  6. DryRider Pants? What are you doing wearing anything but leather or denim anyway? Is that cool? I don’t think so.

Now don’t go taking the silly suggestions of attacking chrome with anything abrasive like fine grade steel wool, all you will do is ruin your chrome permanently this way.

Go the oven cleaner and use plenty of clean cloths with elbow grease.
  7. Huh?? Superfine steelwool damaging chrome?
    Never damaged anything in 30 years of use, even using 000 on brushed aluminium (very lightly). Like tar/ gunk on exhaust-heatshields. And that stuff is a hell of a lot softer than chrome.
    The above-mentiond brasso or autosol would make things even quicker.
    As long as the steelwool is kept moist, it's safe.
  8. I second that , superfine steel wool , with plenty of autosol on it , DuHast take a look around some motorcycle restorers, look at what they use to clean the old chrome mufflers/pipes
  9. dont matter how you do it ............... it will still discolor the chrome ............ been there and done that
  10. I reckon Autosol is the go with plenty of elbow grease, good stuff that.
  11. cleaning chrome

Is there a consensus on a good product for cleaning chrome on bikes?

I need more than just a lite polishing liquid or whatever - I have some sort of crap on my cans that won't come off - it's maybe latex rubber burnt onto the cans when I had to use one of those trye inflation kits a few weeks ago.
    Any ideas?..Ta!
  12. Doh!...It works! (I used the steelwool and gentle polishing with soapy water trick.)
    BUT!...I rubbed a little hard in the first area I worked on and now have that "lost lustre" look in the chrome...Any ideas on how to get rid of that?

Is there such a thing as a chrome 'poilish'?
    Ta (again)
  13. All care and no responsibility, or something like that. Mothers make a chrome polish. http://www.mothers.com/products/ Half way down the page. Autobarn stock Mothers products. I haven't used this one, but I do use their spray on cleaner, which is like Mr Sheen and works very well.

PS. Didn't know such a thing existed, but googled chrome polish and there it was.
  14. Bewdie...I like Mothers Products...
    I will buy some and give it a shot... :grin:

Thanks for the tips 748girl...much appreciated!
  15. I like mothers too. :grin: