Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Drunk Pillion Passenger?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by [swifty], May 10, 2007.

1. So in my infinite wisdom and endless boredom, I have a question that directly pertains to the meaning of life!

If i'm 100% sobre (0% BAC) and decide to pick up a passenger who is over 0.05 BAC, am i breaking the law?

The above assumes two things, that they have a helmut and that i'm off my restrictions and legally licensed to carry a passenger.

Discuss.

Cheers

2. Nope.

The 05 restrictions only apply to the rider / driver. (Except the passenger in charge of an "L" plater in a car).

3. It's perfectly legal, but I question the sanity of a motorcyclist willing to have a person who is over the limit on their bike.

4. So you're trying to fit your drunk friend AND a german exchange student onto your bike?? :LOL:

I've done it once, taking my girlfriends alcoholic brother home when he got too drunk at our place once. He had the time of his life, I on the other hand did not. It's not fun, and I'm not keen to do it again in a hurry...

5. +1

the law is concerned with the "driver" or person operating the motor vehicle, save for a few exceptions which do not apply to pillions.

I'd be fairly concerned with the degree of intoxication though, given the possible consequences. Would I allow someone who had been out on a bender to jump on the back on my bike? No.

6. plenty of room girls :LOL:

7. As the others said, as long as the rider is legal.

However, I'd like to add that just because a pillion might be over 0.05, it doesn't mean they're an out of control drunk. If they're just over the limit, they could still very well be a good pillion... Raven seems to cope with me anyway :LOL:

8. You probably don't have enough body weight for it to matter.....(sober or drunk).. :p

9. Woodsy and Jafu don't seem to have any problems either :LOL:
    At WSBK in march I got "a bit pithed" and got pillioned by both of them to and from flips. :p
    I spose it depends on the pillion in question and how intoxicated they are.

10. alrighty... well i had no intention of doing it... just wanted to hear the response... cheers guys

11. i do sometimes but try to limit myself to people who have been pillons b4 and know how to behave