Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by KadeO, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Just wondering who amongst us netriders are drummers. What do you use?

I've got a Maple Birch kit. 14 x 5 snare, 10 x 7, 12 x 8, 14 x 12 & 16 x 14" toms and a 22 x 18 bass.
    Bosphorus antique series 13" hats, hhx 16" & 17" medium crashes, 20" hhx medium ride, meinl 10" splash and an old zildijan China :D

2. I use to use the old faithful Pearl Export
    22" bass
    14" and 16" mounted toms
    18" floor tom (occasionally x 2)
    14 x 7 snare
    Paiste 404 hi-hats and 20" ride
    Paiste Rude 16" and 18" crashes.

I had a set of Paiste 2002 series cymbals and they lasted about 2 months. Great sound but weak as
  3. #3 smileedude, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I'll just get all the jokes out in one hit. Then you guys can carry on.

How do you tell if the stage is level? The drummer is drooling from both sides of his mouth.

How can you tell a drummer's at the door? The knocking speeds up.

What's the last thing a drummer says in a band? "Hey, how about we try one of my songs?"

An Indian chief and a cavalry captain climb to the top of a tall hill and look out upon the entire Indian tribe. The captain says worriedly, "I don't like the sound of those drums." The chief says, "I know. It's not our regular drummer."

What do you call a drummer that breaks up with his girlfriend? Homeless.

What do Ginger Baker and black coffee have in common? They both suck without Cream.

How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb? Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better Neil Peart could've done it.

An amateur drummer died and went to heaven. He was waiting outside the pearly gates when he heard the most incredible fast and furious drumming coming from within. Immediately he recognized the playing and rushed to ask St. Peter if that was Buddy Rich playing drums inside the gates. St. Peter responded: "No, that's God. He just thinks he's Buddy Rich."

How do you get a drummer off of your porch? Pay him 10 bucks for the pizza.

Why didn't the Little Drummer Boy get into heaven? Because he woke up the baby, for Christ's sake!

What do you call a drummer with half a brain? Gifted.

What does a drummer use for contraception? His personality.

What do you say to a drummer in a three-piece suit? "Will the defendant please rise?"

"Hey buddy, how late does the band play?" "Oh, about half a beat behind the drummer."

Hey, did you hear about the drummer who finished high school? Me neither.

Why do guitarists put drumsticks on the dash of their car? So they can park in the handicapped spot.

How is a drum solo like a sneeze? You know it's coming, but there's nothing you can do about it.

What's the first thing a drummer says when he moves to LA? "Would you like fries with that, sir?

What is the difference between a drummer and a savings bond? One will mature and make money.

Why do drummers have lots of kids? They're not too good at the Rhythm Method.

What do you do if you accidentally run over a drummer? Back up.

What did the drummer say to the band leader? "Do you want me to play too fast or too slow?"

Deep in the African jungle, a safari was camped for the night. In the darkness, distant drums began a relentless throbbing that continued until dawn. The safari members were disturbed, but the guide reassured them: "Drums good. When drums stop, very bad." Every night the drumming continued, and every night the guide reiterated, "Drums good. When drums stop, VERY bad." This continues for several days until one morning the drumming suddenly stops and all the natives panic and run screaming. The man asks the guide what's the matter? The guide looking very frightened says: "When drums stop, VERY, VERY bad," he said. "Why is it bad?" asked a member of the safari. "Because when drums stop, bass solo begin!"

4. Used to? What happened!?

Looking at a new snare for shits and giggles, have a bit of money laying around. Check out Noble Noble & Cooley SS Classic series, sounds fantastic!
  5. I haven't been drumming much since I've been at uni... But here goes.

I too have a pearl export, wine red.

22" bass,
    14" and 16" toms
    18" floor
    can't remember the snare size... awkward...
    14" istanbul hats
    18" Acustom zildjan crash
    17" sabian jazz crash
    Some cheap ride that i liked the sound of... ZXT I think? can't remember... Too lazy to go down and check...
  6. #6 MelbourneMick, Aug 24, 2012
    You forgot one....

What do you get when you cross a roadie with a drummer?

An even dumber drummer !

*boom tish*
  7. Haven't played for about 4 years now.
    Played for about 25 odd years though.
    Just no time anymore with everything else that life brings.
    I had the time of my life playing but I don't think you ever get use to getting home from a gig a 2am and then trying to get up for work at 6am.
    When I was 20 that was easy. But that was a long time ago haha.
  8. I love it, coming from playing guitar for six years. Only been drumming for 18 months.
    Getting home at 2 and getting up at at 6? Shit, I have to get up at 6 for work now and go to bed at 9, and still struggle.
  9. Hahahahahaha yeah playing in bands doesn't happen during normal hours !

So why the change to drums ?
  10. #10 buckett, Aug 24, 2012
    hahaha, love it!
  11. Nope! Sacrifices! I'll soon be broke again, as all musicians are.

Why the change? I used to play a little bit here and there, just because, whenever I was around a kit. Just piss farting around. Then decided to learn properly and since haven't looked back. I absolutely love it, even more so then guitar.

Picked up a guitar today for he first time in six months, felt so alien. :p
  12. So very true if you go into music thinking you are going to make a living out of it then it will only end in tears.

I remember working all day Thursday then driving from Brisbane to Lismore. Playing a set starting at 10.30pm then driving back and going to work the next day.
    The next Thursday played a gig in The Valley (Brisbane). We went on at midnight !
    I was pretty unproductive the next day I can tells ya haha
  13. That's it, you'll end up a very sad boy (or girl)

Jeez, I couldn't do that. Though if I was getting paid it wouldn't be so tiring.
    I've only played a few gigs on weekends, and been lucky not to work the next morning. Most of the places supplied booze from your takings, but the amount you'd get wasn't worth hanging around for
  14. I'm broke again. Just bought a 14 x 6.5 black beauty for 700 delivered. I couldn't resist
  15. that's what the band said eh tough break :)
  16. It cam be done of course, it just sucks. And of course you have to be serious and damn good - you need the disciplines of a serious athlete if you want to be good enough to become in proper demand.

I moved to the big city (Melbourne) from Nyah at 17, in the mid '90s, to make a living as a jazz drummer. Once I got here I expanded into being a general drummer, playing in soul bands, doing recording sessions, etc as well. I made a successful living for a few years until I had a drastic change of situation and I wouldn't have left otherwise, but I'm so glad out got out of that business. In the few years I was doing it the pay went down substantially and consistently across many venues! The venue owners were sharks, and professional musicians aren't the most humane people to work with as a whole.

My favourite kit was a thin maple Slingerland in champagne sparkle. While I had modern fancy things, my favourite bass drum pedal - to use! - was an old Rogers from God knows how long ago - it had a leather strap rather than a chain! I used a mix of old cymbals, Zildjian and the like of course, but also some Ufips and Zyns (Super five star!) that were new left over from decades before. Cymbals were a lot more expensive in the days before the internet so most of my working cymbals had bits cut out where I had cracked them.

Oh, I could go on.... I don't play anymore, mostly because I have too many current passions, and partly because it shits me too much: I hear/feel something and move for it to come out...and it doesn't. When you go from practicing five hours a day and gigging half the nights of the week to not touching an instrument or even hearing music, you lose it quickly.

I wouldn't be motorcycling if I was a serious drummer. (-Those precious wrists and ankles)
  17. They were the ones constantly out of time haha
  18. My first kit was a Autocrat. That pedal had a leather strap which i remember getting replaced more than once !
    And all the skins were odd numbers. 13" mounted Tom, 17" floor Tom, 19 " bass drum. When i broke the bass drum skin it costs me almost astute same amount to replace that as it did to buy be kit !
  19. I'd absolutely love to do it professionally, but I would reckon it would become less and less enjoyable.