Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DrSleepy Tells All

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by DrSleepy, Mar 9, 2016.

1. As I'm sure you're aware, I had a fairly spectacular off in August last year -- see THIS thread for the full story `as it happened'... Anyway, on Tuesday morning, six months down the track, I presented my own case at one of our department continuing education meetings, to not only describe what had happened to me, but also some of the insights I gained from the whole experience.

This is the video of that presentation for those that are interested. Its the slides and my narration (unfortunately the venue changed at the last moment and I couldn't set my camera up) and runs for 30 mins. This video is part 1/2 -- the second part is essentially "motorcycle trauma for the anaesthetist" and will be presented at a later date. We ran out of time to do the full thing, but there's a short discussion at the end. Also, spot the NR-ness. ;)

Finally, a slight caution -- I did include some of my own x-ray images, but there's no "blood & guts."

Enjoy, I'm happy to post Part II up here when it happens!
    • Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Informative Informative x 5
  2. The things we do to get some cool scars.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever"

Enjoyed that.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I think that's a fairly accurate assessment GeorgeOGeorgeO.
  5. keen to see the second half of your presso
  6. Not quite what I expected from the title :whistle: hope all is going well and mended, scars are good for an embellished story, you now have a perspective fron the other side of things, great that you're able to tell your story
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Fantastic presentation, your a great presenter! I am definitely keen to see the second one. Really made me not want to crash even more, and that I should probably get some Private Health Insurance to pay for all the stuff you went through if it happened :/
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I'm impressed by the professionalism of yourself and your colleagues, but I'm more than a little surprised at their non-judgemental approach to your personal choices.
    Hasn't been my experience.
  9. I know I'll get flamed for saying this, but, barring oil on the road, I just can't see how you could have crashed on such an innocuous corner if you had been riding at the speed limit......
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. i work as a Draftsman, if I want to learn/get insight into something I go and build i.

Your method of learning/getting insight takes way much more commitment.

Great presentation BTW, very insightful and beneficial for future patients I'm sure.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Evading wildlife, oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road and mechanical failure (but I'm sure that would have been discounted from a thorough investigation) comes to mind hornethornet but unless DrSleepyDrSleepy can recover the memory loss from the incident I guess nobody will ever know
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Anyone know what kind of vehcal the couple were driving, I absolutly dont stare when I suddenly see an approaching vehcal on a bend.Target fixation is something to be avoided but a hell of a lot of poeple dont know or practic this. Its also surprising how many people in four wheel drives take one hell of a lot of the road in the country. That's as speculative as the rider going to fast, someone was to wide that's for sure. Horrible situation , happy you came out well in the long term. I have never been though this nightmare, know some who have. Not riding would take away so much pleasure in my life. I would hate to be in the position of making a decision not to ride. We love to ride ha.
  13. texting?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks for the comments everyone. I still don't know what happened with any certainty, and I doubt I ever will. I'm cool with that -- the temptation here is to over-analyse and under these circumstances I don't believe that will produce a useful result. My very last memory before the accident is specifically that I was under the limit -- I remember coming out of a right-handed bend and seeing my speed. Like I said, there's a good five minutes of retrograde amnesia, so this memory is not in proximity to the bend where the accident happened. I was a little pressed for time in the presentation, so although I had planned to talk about this, I had to drop it. The emergency department staff interrogated me at length when I was there -- I was absolutely adamant that I was on the right side of the road and travelling < 60 (in an 80 zone), although I obviously don't remember this.

The other driver was a local in an iLoad or similar. I don't blame him in the slightest, whatever happened would have been extremely quick and I'd like to think he told the police what he honestly thought he saw. In those situations, your mind sees what it wants to. He could have clipped the corner without realising it, been distracted, talking to his wife, any number of reasons. I'm equally open to the idea that I AM at fault, although given how I normally ride, my stated reason for being on that road on the day and the complete lack of any high-speed damage to my riding gear, I don't believe the situation is anywhere near clear-cut.

In a much larger sense I do consider myself responsible for the accident -- it was MY decision to be on that road on that day, at that time: mine and mine alone. I've spent the last 7 months dealing with the consequences of that decision. Do I regret it? Not in the slightest.
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. I vaguely remember (most of my memories are vague these days) that a witness thought Dr Sleepy looked like he tried to avoid some wild life, though not definite. Owning the accident - that's honest of you. We choose to do what we do knowing the risks, thinking that we know our own limits and choosing to pursue this form of happiness anyway. Thus we live with the consequences. Well done for owning it and turning it in to a positive for your workmates. And you've got a story you can "dine out on" for the rest of your life.

I was deliberately run over/t-boned when stationery at the end of 2014. Nowhere near as bad as Dr Sleepy, but spent 35 days in hospital, halfway through chose to transfer to free up the Royal Melbourne Trauma ward bed and went for re-hab to a private hospital on the insurer’s "fully covered partner" list or whatever they call it. Private Health Insurance covered the lot Ambulance, bed, drugs & so on (except for drugs once I got out). Would've been $10s of thousands otherwise. If you can afford Private Health Insurance and ride get it. Make sure it includes Ambulance, I had 2 MICAs turn up.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Point taken, sir
  17. In Vic you don't need to worry about having Ambulance cover if you are involved in a road accident. Your TAC/Rego takes care of it.
  18. For $80 ambulance cover is peace of mind
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. Yes it is and it only costs $40, but it will not be needed for a road accident.
  20. Thanks Al_CamAl_Cam -- much appreciated.

With respect to the private health insurance situation: I was/am privately insured and elected to use it during my admission. Fortunately I didn't have much ongoing cost. I elected to continue my rehab with the physio department at JHH as they had been looking after me while I was an inpatient and had access to all of my X-rays and so on. The hand therapy I had to pay privately, but it wasn't prohibitively expensive and absolutely worth the investment.

The only thing I would say is that when you have a major trauma like this one, you are in all likelihood FAR better off being treated in the public system until you're notionally stable. Public hospitals have a wealth of knowledge and expertise virtually 'on tap.' In my case, my trauma call was attended by general surgeons, orthopaedic surgeons, intensive care and emergency physicians. The blood bank & interventional radiology were notified, in case I needed to have an urgent embolisation or similar; the neurosurgeons reviewed my head & spine CT and the hand surgeon got specific imaging of my wrist. All this took less than 4 hours. Absolutely use your private insurance while you're there -- you'll hopefully get a single room and a newspaper as well as your choice of surgeon, but if you need special hardware to fix your pelvis for example, the public are more likely to have it. Get fixed, then transfer to the private when you're mostly sorted out and need to recover.
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3