Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DrSleepy Tells a Little More

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by DrSleepy, Jun 15, 2016.

1. So, following on from my previous video explaining my accident & the aftermath, here is part II as promised. We ran out of time to do this in March, but I managed to get another slot in the CME calendar on June 10th to do the second half of the presentation, which is more about 'motorcycle trauma for the anaesthetist' — an explanation of crash mechanisms and so on for a (typically) non-motorcyling medical audience. Again, just the slides and my narration and it goes for about 27 minutes. Having spent the last 6 hours in Lightworks cutting the picture to match the audio, is it a little weird that I'm sick of the sound of my own voice?!

Feedback more than welcome!

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. A little weird? Not at all. Got to that point narrating various uni presentations, so I ended up giving up and doing a lot with text instead. Passed, so I don't care anymore.

Thanks for this, good info!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Excellent DrSleepyDrSleepy (y) great presentation and very informative even for a blue collar man such as myself ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. #4 CraigA, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Nice work.

I love that you referred to John Hinds.

I take it you have seen some of the presentations of his that are up on youtube on motorcycle trauma?

I was watching some a few weeks back and found them extremely interesting.

He talks about many of the same things that you have and is pretty entertaining to listen to.

RIP John!

I hope you don't mind me including links for those who may be interested? Mods feel free to delete.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. at work at the moment, but I'll watch this with interest tonight, Dr.S :)
  6. I've watched a lot of his work CraigACraigA — definitely the inspiration for some parts of this presentation. We have an Irish couple in our department who were at my presentation and actually knew him. He's someone I would have liked to meet as well!
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Good one Doc.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Very informative presso mate!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Do the ambo's get training on reading an accident scene to predict possible damage/injury? Or is there a standard protocol (pinch patient - if they don't respond it's too late?)
  10. I think it would be a good idea for me to watch the two presentations you've created every few months, DrSleepyDrSleepy. I am a reasonably risk-averse rider but the consequences of even a "non-juicy" lowside needs to be reiterated to me, over and over. Thanks for taking the time to author and present your story to us and the medical staff that treat motorcyclist injuries.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thanks for the feedback all, much appreciated. :)

As far as I know GeorgeOGeorgeO, I don't believe they do. There is always a standard approach for any critically ill patient (not just trauma). The basic premise is C-ABCD:

(firstly, scene safety and so on...)
    C: catastrophic haemorrhage / c-spine
    A: airway
    B: breathing
    C: circulation
    D: disability​

The way this works is to address problems in the order they're going to kill you — no point worrying about whether you're breathing if you haven't got an airway to breathe through and so on. Worrying about the actual mechanism of the accident is less important at these early stages. Some of the management is very much protocol-driven as well: everyone who's in any way sketchy will score a pelvic binder for instance. By way of example, on the side of the road I had an obviously broken leg, a heart rate of 130 and a systolic blood pressure of 90. The obvious thing is an open-book pelvic fracture, so I scored a binder and two bags of blood on spec. (Thankfully I don't remember it, although my pelvis was definitely broken!)

I think the most useful reason to know the mechanism of injury is so when the patient hits the emergency department, people know where to look for injuries. So yes, in the field it is useful to have an understanding of it, but the (somewhat simplified!) job of the primary care team is to firstly treat immediately life-threatening problems and then get you to the hospital.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Great presentation Doc, lots of good info for first responders/first on scene as we are with our rural fire brigade, quite often we're first on scene and have a wait for ambo's as we are out of town, certainly food for thought with unseen injuries
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Does adequate information get captured at the scene to relay to the hospital trauma unit ? Would one of the first responders travel with the helicopter ?
  14. This has been amazing to watch. Thank you for sharing your experiences in a traumatic situation, Very glad that you have recovered and are riding again.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Depends on what information is actually available GeorgeOGeorgeO. In my case it was all very unclear exactly what happened, although they knew I'd been in what was essentially a head-on. Usually the way it works is that the road ambulance arrives & makes a determination as to whether the helicopter is needed. If so, the retrieval team (in our case doctor + paramedic) will arrive and take the patient on the helo to the hospital. There's a lot of safety issues surrounding the big yellow flying machine, so not everyone can just get on it. There's always a hand-over of information, so yes, whatever is known of the story will accompany the patient to the hospital.
  16. This is amazing. Thoroughly informative and captivating. Thank you very much for sharing!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. And I just went and downloaded an ICE app for my phone.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Good job. :) I have to say, my own thoughts about this have changed a little over time. I had all this information in my phone long before having my crash, but nobody knew how to access it (and I was being a bit... recalcitrant... in the emergency department. I blame the ketamine). The other thing is what happens if your phone is destroyed in the crash? So I've opted for the low-tech solution in the form of a wrist band. I don't wear it all the time, but any time I could potentially end up in a hospital outside of the HNE network (where all my details are held) I try to wear it, just in case.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Medical ID bracelets while riding, I'm more worried about losing my license than dying.

This is the point in your journey where a friend grabs you by the shoulders, looks you in the eyes and asks, "are you ok, are your really ok?"

Good luck with your recovery Dr Sleepy, may you find inner peace soon.
  20. A very valid point mate. Its something I have to admit I have considered before. The bracelet that you wear, was it anything specific? I remember seeing it in the video as an orange band with a tag on it, but that's about all I really remember about ( unless I want to go through your excellent presentation again ). I guess I mean, is it a specific brand/type? And available from where if I may ask?
    • Like Like x 1