Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

dropping and sliding the bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by kransky.dan, Sep 18, 2006.

1. hey guys,
    getting my license soon, and been reading the forums for a while, just wanted to know how easy it is to drop the bike and have the back end slide out on you? ie stacking it? :shock: its a little dishearting. Some idea of what im in for would be great.
    Also has anyone here done there Ls in SA? approx time to wait to get into the course if i pay next week?
    thanks

2. it isn't hard to stay upright, but it also isn't hard to crash if you're a moron/unskilled or you have really bad luck. does that help. :wink:

there's nothing magically complicated about motorcycles, they're no more difficult to ride than a pushbike, except they weigh more which can cause oopsies at very low speed.

3. You shouldn't have any problems on that course unless you go too fast or stall it mid-lean.

Not sure how long it'll take to book. There may be a reduction in numbers due to the higher fees.

Will you be using the new St Agnes course? Let us know how it goes.

4. It's very easy to drop the bike. You can do it a hundred different ways.

Almost every biker crashes.

Some people are lucky and don't get hurt, others have much worse luck.

Make no mistake, this is a high-risk activity.

If you can't deal with that, get a car, mate.

5. The only time that you will drop the bike is if your caught off balance and off guard, whether at the traffic lights or turning a slow corner.

Just be careful at slow speeds and look out for things like wet or oil patches loose dirt or grass.

Otherwise there will be no problems with keeping the bike upright. It is just the unexpected "stuff" that happens.
    Which kinda sucks. I hope this doesn't dishearten you any more.

6. You won't drop the bike if you concertrate 100% while moving it around, that being said, lots of people (including myself) can be lazy and it's very easily dropped. A 250 is going to weigh around 145 kilograms, and once that starts to fall, its hard to catch :p

7. welcome.

motorcycles are fun. be smart and safe.

not trying to deter you but came across this guys account of an incident he was involved in:

http://daveola.com/History/Section_...ing_Through_The_Air_With_The_Greatest_Of_Ease

when the unfortunate happens and a rider bins it they'll more than likely post up an account of the incident. may i suggest you READ these! it may give you some insight into why this type of stuff happens to some of us. touch wood, eh...

8. :shock: :shock: :shock:

No, don't! Please, take the bus. :)

While Loz generaly has good advice, I disagree here. If you're worried about your ability to operate a vehical safely, the last thing I want is to have you out there in a car. :wink: :LOL:

9. Dropping bikes is easy as, ive done it 3 times in the last year.

2 were low speed brain farts.
    1 couldnt be avoided at the time. (Faulty equipment)

Its not like youll be riding along and the bike will explode sending you flying through the air everytime you stop concentrating.
    But its a lot more dangerous than caging it around.

10. Or if you forget to take the disc lock off your bike :(.

Just make sure you ride within both your limits and the limits placed on you by the environment, and I'm not just talking about rain etc. Even the simple thing of having the sun low in the sky combined with lots of trees on the side of the road can greatly reduce your visibility as your eyes don't know what to do o_O.

11. and sometimes dropping ya bike (on Purpose) can be a good thing and maybe save ya life,
    excellant example of that in the 125's race on sunday

12. with good gear and a bit of luck you will come away from a drop relatively unscathed. the ones to worry about are when some d&*^head turns in front of you or comes out of a side street without seeing you or changes lane without seeing you or runs a red light as you start across an intersection or does something else unpredictable.

13. lowsided (drop & slide) 3 times in 5 years, no injuries, just scuffs. Sliding itself is not dangerous unless you hit something or something ie a car hits you. Good bike maintenance, sensible riding and good luck will have you staying upright with ease.

14. If you're gonna come off then make sure you're prepared... I'm talking about your protective gear! Last time I came off... had to pull mine (bike) down and slide I was only wearing jeans... and boy they shred to pieces in a split second. Took weeks to pick out the gravel... ouch!! I was wearing a protective jacket... (not leather) that saved my back and shoulders but also disintegrated.... went straight back to leather and draggin jeans after that! Not trying to scare you but think about what could happen if you did come off... I was only doing 70 k's on a bend and I've got scars for life! Any way ride safe and be prepared!

15. Losing the back-end should only really happen if there's something on the road that you didn't anticipate - it won't happen on a dry road without some seriously bad riding on your part.

Keep your eyes peeled for water, gravel, etc at all times - and keep your wits about you. Don't ride tired, drunk or in anyway incapacitated (even if you're just distracted) and you should be ok. Be sensible and you can minimise all the risks.

Now losing the front-end is a different story... and that usually happens under brakes (particularly when you panic). Only practise solves that little one.

16. if you have a new tyre on the back and it still has the shiny surface on it and give it to much throttle coming out of a cnr or even in a straight line on a big bike you could lose the back end and stack, every single racer has done it at one time or the other, but in general its really rare as your wheels act as gyroscopes and actually want to pick em selves back up as long as there turning.

17. I dropped my bike on my 3rd day of riding. I was too tired to visit my gf, but I wanted to show off my bike. My After leaving her place, my eyes were fixed on something stupid (instead of where I wanted to go) and it was a wet and slippery road. My first 3 days of riding was in heavy rain and wind. Now the bike mechanic has my bike while it's sunny. I hope that I get my bike very soon.

I came out unscrathed. Only my left knee wet weather pants were ripped. Luckily I wore motorcross knee pads under my draggins. I didn't know that I hit the ground until I saw a small rip in my left glove and a torn wet weather pants.

18. My back end slip out on me 2nd week i had my license. my housing estate was quite new so roads were muddy at best and came from a stop start into a round about doing 20kays got half way through and was on my ass watching the paint flecks come off the side fairing IN SLOW MO of my bike that i just spent the last 6months getting to run. lol. never happened again so i can say it was a good learning experience.

funny thing was i didnt tell my folks about it then mum decided to buy me a pair of bike pants as a present, needless to say i had a hard time trying to get them on with half my ass missing so i had to tell her. haha.

19. Having the back slide out doesn't necessarily result in a complete drop. You'll be surprised at how much you can rescue a bike.

My main problem at the start was not understanding how to manouver it, ie how to change the lean from one side to the other. I know - sounds so basic, but I was barely use to pushies! Sit on the bike with both feet down, not going anywhere, and rock it from side to side. Get the feel of how to pick it up from an angle. Using hips, arms, shoulders, hands... play with it. If you really want to test it out have another rider there ready to catch the bike on one side as you see how far you can lower it and still upright it.

20. hey dan if you're sensible about it and not fangin' around in crappy conditions... heavy and unpredictable traffic... you'll probably stay pretty upright.

I lost the back end doing about 50-60kph on a quiet road... conditions were dry*ish... but I wasn't expecting slippery mud and I was riding at my limit in unfamiliar conditions... I had my gear on (probably could have had more) and was lucky to ride away with just a scuffed and bruised knee.

As people have said before... unfortunately it's the situations where we are unable to control that cause the most damage... all we can do is prepare ourselves best we can... wear protective gear, ride to your abilities, ride to the conditions...

Yes motorcycling is dangerous... but without it living my life would be just wondering all the time... what it might have been.