Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dropped twice in one day, my balance is off.

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Voz, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Well, had my first and second drops in the one day. Both stationary, one to the right getting ready to make a right turn and one to the left just after mounting the bike in my garage. WTF?!? I just lost all control.

Some minor sratches on my engine protection bar & barkbuster for the first and a broken Givi Touring windscreen for the second.

I think I have some sort of a balance problem today, am going to stay away from the bike for a few days.

Had a massive nite on the piss on Thu, drinking until 3-4 am, did not drive or ride on Fri, went to bed uncharacteristically early last nite, I suspect my Thu nite outing is still affecting me?

Have not had a drink for many months prior to this. As I write this I am still feeling very slightly woozy.
  2. doesn't necessarily need to be related to the big night on Thursday... often dropping your bike can rattle your confidence, so it's not really surprising that a second drop could follow soon after.

That's not to say staying off the bike for the rest of the day / weekend is a bad idea. But confidence doesn't come back while you're sitting on your sofa (well, not unless you're drinking!!)

We've all been there, and just be glad that when you dropped it in your garage it didn't hit your car. First time my LAMS bike lay down I'd been a moron and had parked it facing downhill next to the subaru. All was good till I popped it into neutral to warm it up, turned my back on the bike and she rolls forward off the stand and falls down into the front quarter panel of the forester. unbefarkenlievable!
  3. Very possible TMAX - if you haven't hit the P15S for a while and tie one on you will definitely be hazy and out of sorts for a day or two.

Best to get the head in gear first - then think about riding.
  4. wasnt the booze .. just stay off the drugs ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Haha, probably didn't help matters, booze & j's, big nite....

Another contributing factor is the new seat I just fitted, it sits about 30mm higher than the OEM seat and any uneven surface is now a risk, although does not explain the garage, lol.
  6. Why did you fit that seat, TMax?
  7. A very good question....

On a forum I follow in the US everyone and his dog changes seats on the Versys I ride. So I ordered a new cover and foam from the US and had it fitted locally to my OEM seat base a few weeks back. It is a better seat in most respects except that it makes the already tall OEM seat even taller.

I am thinking I might revert to the OEM seat as I can not risk losing my footing again. The loss of balance has actually occured a few times before today but I had managed to hold it up previously, I just think today I was not in top form.
  8. Depends on your height ultimately, but 3cm on an already tall seat height would make a difference and certainly play a role in what happened, I think.

You might get used to it. Guess you have to decide if the positives of the taller seat outweigh the difficulties associated with the increased height.
  9. The heavy drinking would have contributed to a degree,it affects the balance and coordination,you were still pissed,
  10. Sounds like your going from point A to C with no regard for B.
    Left foot goes down. Right hand puts more pressure on the right bar to counteract the weight transfer. Or visa versa for the right foot going down.
    TBH sounds like as soon as the bike tilts your eyes are hitting the ground on that side.
    Well that or the drugs and if your having drugs you need to bring enough for all of us :)
  11. No, I was looking straight ahead even when going down. I have reviewed the video for the 1st drop and it goes something like this:

- start to move off
    - stall
    - stop
    - lose footing
    - go down

This road is a lttle cambered right so my foot had more to go down. I dont think I slipped, just could not take the weight and arrest the momentum.

The real issue is that I lost forward momemtum and was not prepared for the stop and I was already slightly leaning to the right on a road surface slightly cambered to the right.

3 cars stopped and people got out to render assistance. Big ups for the average Concord, (Sydney) cager.
  12. Oh well, bugger. People can still amaze me. Only reason I haven't climbed a tall building with a high powered rifle.
    Anywho get use to that counterbalancing and you can keep your arse across the seat a bit more, for longer. Giving you more leg length. That will catch the bike before it gets to where it leans enough for the weight of the bike to have effect.
  13. yeah mate take a bit of a break (a day or 2) and get your confidence back. Nothing would be worse then to go out there and drop it a 3rd time you know what i mean?

Glad you were stationary and not moving with pace at all!
  14. Went for a 2 hour ride today, all good.

I am going to revert the seat back to the OEM seat cover and foam, this increased height on an already high seat is not great.

I measured the new seat hieght at about 870-880 mm today just to give you an idea. Of course the bike compresses down with my petite 6" 120Kg mass which is how I can touch the ground at all once mounted.

The drops may still have happened with any seat as I was not on form and more importantly was not following all the right steps to stay upright.
  15. Well done mate.
    To get the bike to lean to the foot you want it too. Push on that side of the bars as you stop.
    If you want it to lean to the left foot then as you stop, push on the left bar.
    Works a treat and every time no matter what the road camber is
  16. Thanks, good advice to store in my already overloaded and rapidly shrnking brain, cheers.