Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dropped the bike, stupid fault

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by logictom, Jun 22, 2016.

1. So I got my first bike (CB125E) two weeks ago and dropped it this morning.
    A few things lead to me dropping it, I backed out the garage and then proceeded to stall it in front of the other half.
    I then proceeded to rev it higher than usual to ensure I wouldn't stall it again, all good, now I take my hand off the clutch to wave goodbye, things start going wrong, I am going a bit quicker than usual but by no means quick. I then look around and I'm heading straight for the bush outside the house, oh crap.
    Not entirely sure what happened but I think I manage to stop... but I end up on the floor under the bike on it's right side.
    Luckily nothing was squashed, I drag my sorry ass from under the bike and pick it up, it doesn't look too bad.

I'm an unscathed other than a graze on my left leg, I guess when I went over I caught my leg on the foot peg?
    There is some minor scuffing on the brake lever, foot peg and exhaust but nothing to write home about, the one that got me was the gear lever has been bent. The only thing I think that could have happened was I hit the raised edge under the hedge on the paving and that bent it and maybe that's what caused me to topple.

So luckily it appears it's mostly my pride that has been damaged, I have some takeaways from the experience though:
    * Keep all appendages, especially hands, on the bike when taking off. A head nod will be all the other half gets when leaving from now on.
    * Point the bike straight on the road and not towards the nearest hedge when taking off.
    * I probably ended up staring at the hedge when riding towards it so must remember to look where I want the bike to go instead of what I want to avoid.
    * I am glad I got the 125 to learn on as it's a cheap bike and if I can mess up on this bike just be glad it wasn't a more powerful bike I screwed up on, it could have the wall behind the hedge instead.

Anyway, nothing too bad, just annoyed at my stupid mistakes more than anything else but hopefully I'll learn from it.
    -end ramble/rant
    • Like Like x 13
  2. Sounds like maybe you'd got a bit too over confident, then everything went wrong at once. Glad you've learned from the experience. The trick now is to continue learning, but without falling off.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Most of us drop it at some point. I'd say all, but as soon as I do, there'll be a chorus of "not me," lol.

I did a ripper right in the middle of an intersection in Melbourne cbd. Doing a uturn which I'm hopeless at. Yes, I need to practise more.

As long as you're not badly hurt. Bikes can be fixed. Just a pita though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. To quote Dory: "keep on swimming.....keep on swimming......keep on swimming....." You'll get there in the end mate
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sorry to hear, all the worse when someone's watching, eh? :LOL:

Never mind, try, try, try again....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I noticed anytime I either wave or do something one handed on the bike whilst going real slow it's best to pull the clutch in and wave with the throttle hand. Bike is way too jerky if you are in gear and rolling around. Also clutch in makes this less likely to accelerate into a kerb etc. don't let this scare you, just a brain fade which we all have from time to time.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lesson learned - don't wave! Just nod....
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. #8 Rexxy, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    Is there an equivalent to Godwin's Law for derailing a thread with nodding references? No*? Righto then...

For Dog's sake, don't go nodding like a bobble-head to every bike you see when you start riding, especially on curves. You will end up heading in the direction you nod.

As for the drop, congratulations! Now you can stop worrying about it.

* There is now.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Good that you are safe! I have had a few close calls - the problem with experience is you get it just after you need it :(.

Last time I said "not me" I almost dropped my bike standing at lights in the rain..."
  10. There are 2 sorts of motorbike riders, those riders who've dropped their bikes and those riders who are going to drop their bikes.

Welcome to the dark bruises side (we've got cookies) :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I guess I'm in the "yet to be dropped" group, but seriously concentrate on what you need to do to ride the bike and not on the external stuff. At least you learnt this lesson at slow speed and only one person watching!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. The first thing I always do after an unco moment is to look around and see if anyone was watching! haha
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. in hindsight... smart move buying a light cheap naked bike though wasnt it?
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. There are two type of riders:

Those who dropped their bikes
    Those who are going to drop them

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thanks for the pointers. I agree I think I got a little confident and just didn't take things slow.
    Took a better look at it this afternoon and there's a few scratches but don't think I'll bother doing anything about it at this stage - barely notice most of it.
    On the way home I did noticed that something is rubbing making a reasonably loud noise, I only hear it above 20kph.
    Had a quick look once home, couldnt get the same noise out of it but it sounds as though the brakes are binding but only had a quick look, further investigation needed - car back in use until then!
  16. Hard luck but at least you're OK.
    You dropped it on the right hand side ?
    Check brake lever and foot pedal to ensure both are releasing fully.
    It may be that one of them is bent just enough to stop them releasing the pressure in the lines.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ...didn't take long
  18. So, here's the good news - you dropped your bike without much damage to yourself or your bike. This is The Best Plan - the Broken wings patch isn't that worthwhile!

The other bit that is brilliant is your cool assessment of how it happened and why, without any self flagellation. Awesome - the best way to learn!

The bad news is the dented pride - but hey, even that's good if you use it to temper overconfidence :)
  19. Welcome to NR logictomlogictom . Awesome little bikes the CB125E's and really forgiving. Except of course when you point them at the hedge. In my case luckily the target fixation was a pine cone which I ran over about 10 times when I started whilst chanting 'don't run over that stupid pine cone again'. Great lesson in target fixation. In fact I was truly amazed at how accurately the bike tracked to where my eyes were.

Have fun learning and glad to hear all is ok. :happy:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. I love these stories, they make me feel better about my own couple of howlers. Since your bike and body are ok you can just laugh and learn.