Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dropped the bike last night

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Spud Gun, Apr 18, 2007.

1. I was in the garage standing to the left of the bike trying to put it on the centre stand to lube the chain, and I always find it hard to know by feel if both of the centre stand legs are touching when I hoof the bike up on them. This time I guess they weren't. It was too far over to the far side of me and over she goes with me trying to pull the thing back up as its falling which just slowed the fall. If anyone saw me, it looked like I was lying it down gently for the night. Took a couple of attempts to get it back up as well, and I now have a decent scrape on my faring. :( A fair bit of fuel spilled out as well. I am definitely getting Oggy Knobs / crash bungs. I suppose as my missus said, if it's going on its side it's best to not be on it.

2. OUCHY... at least its been christened
  3. Centre stands are evil contraptions. Mine's out to get me, I nearly drop the bike every time I even look at the centrestand!
    So I feel your pain...
  4. Lies. Centrestands rock. Taking a run up, jumping on and taking off in swift and uber-cool move FTW.
  5. Hmmm ...now there's a thought ...counteract the pain of getting it on with the fun of getting it off

...and yes, I am still talking about the centre stand :LOL:
  6. Spud you goon, why haven't I seen you around up here before? Or maybe I have, whats your ride?
  7. Yes, I am a complete goon. I was looking at my bike on the floor thinking "Its not the right way up" as a minor freak attack set in and I did some bicep curls trying to get the bloody thing back up. Anyway, lesson learned. I will lube on the side stand and move the bike forward a bit at a time.

I have just updated my garage with my '04 Triumph Sprint ST (silver). I am always out and about, usually up the Old Pacific Highway or out to Mona Vale and the beaches.
  8. so basically you dont know when your holding the bike up completely vertical?

i dont know about the sprint but on my old suzi gs500f, if i had enough pressure on the center stand with my foot, i could let go of the bike and it would stand there

how are you putting it on the center stand are you trying to hold both bars pulling it up?

or are you grabbing the sub frame/dove tail in a sturdy location, and holding the left bar and pulling the bike back and up at the same time???

9. And of course they're great for those night fireworks of dragging them as you ride down the highway too :p
  10. i was cleaning my wheels last year, it was dark, i was tired, and as i rolled my bike forward to get to the part consealed by the forks, the stand flicked up and it slowly but surely tipped over. no damaged, the mirror was a bit scratched but all was ok. scared the sh*t outa me though because i thought the damage would've been much worse
  11. Oh, I hate those ones - you weren't even having fun! But at least you're not injured. Or did you do your back trying to save it?

I don't have a center stand. I always thought one could be useful, but maybe they're not so great afterall :?
  12. I've had two bikes so far, one with one without. The one with I was cursing how it scraped on teh ground was a biatch to use and generaly made my life a hell as i only used the side stand!!! The one without I was always cursing and swearing while chain lubing, replacing rear pads and doing maintanance that they should have fitted one.
  13. The back is fine, thanks. The pride suffered way more than the faring, and is cheaper to fix (the cost of a carton of New).

I find the centrestand useful for maintenance and washing, its just that the bike has to be dead centre when hoofing it up which takes a nack when you are standing beside the bike, and a faring puts your further away from the centre of gravity. I think I may have pulled the right handle bar too much and it turned while going up. Funnily enough, its easier to pull up on the stand than my old GS500E.
  14. We were showed a cool way to get the bike back up easily when i did the HART handling dynamics course, pick the bike up with your foot on the front wheel using the bars

15. thats a fantastic way.....

to do you back in
  16. Agreed.

Although rider error probably neatly covers my last effort. I had my camera bag strapped to the back and snagged it as I was getting off and down she went. Bye bye clutch lever.
  17. Bugger about the damage

Why not a race stand? Do you need the centre stand when not parked in the garage?
  18. Maybe it's a girl thing ...I just don't seem to have the upper body strength to heave the damn thing backwards ...should I be doing it with both hands on the grips, or one hand on the left grip and the other holding the back? (atm I use both hands on the grips, but can't find the strength, whereas I think if I used one hand on the front and one on the back, I'd lose balance more than I already do!)
  19. Well there's the problem sorted. Can't for the life of me think why you're touching the right bar, presuming of course you're standing on the left of the bike.

Stand down, pressure through foot, left bar, subframe and push your weight through your foot whilst rocking the bike backwards and up. I had a 220kg Triumph Sprint and it was a piece of cake, and I'm hardly the strongest guy around.

If it's a confidence thing, then get another person to stand on the opposite side of you so that if you think you'll drop the bike, you'll be reassured they will catch it.

But seriously, centrestand use is a fundamental and easy thing to do. I wish my current ride had one!
  20. I work with a 45yr old woman who's 5'2" and she can haul her bike to the centrestand. It's not strength that matters, it's the fluidity of the manouvre. As before, practise with a friend present and you'll have it up on the stand in no time.

Left hand - Left grip, Right hand - frame or seat or something secure towards the rear. The pressure through your foot onto the stand is the key - more pressure, less strength required to haul it up. And even a weakling can exert significant pressure through their foot :grin: