Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dropped the biatch, and my self.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by N2O, Sep 20, 2006.

1. So I just out for a nice ride on saturday afternoon over to repco to pick up a radiator hose for my car. I was just putting along, enjoying the scenery, when a roundabout jumped out at me from nowhere!

The front clipped the roundaboud and dumped me onto the road at about 30.

The genius that I am, I wasn't wearing my jacket, (Was only going down the road!). I got up, checked myself out, had a little blood, the helmet didn't even touch the ground, but my draggins were pretty much chopped to bits.

Anyways, so the brake lever, and pedal were broken so I started pushing her home. I got it home, but by this time the gravel rash was REALLy hurting, so I called the ambos, got them to check me out, thinkin' they'd just clean me up, etc.

But they take me to hospital because I haven't had a tetanus shot in 5 years. Get all cleaned (which hurt considerably more than the actual fall) and got discharged 2 hours later.

So, I'm currently nicely wrapped in bandage, although the wounds are relatively minor. So what's the moral to this story? Had I been wearing a jacket, I wouldn't have a scratch on me, and the fall was probably not hard enough to do that much damage to the jacket.

I fixed the damaged to the bike for less than $40.

I'd just like to be the first to call myself an idiot, for 1) not wearing a jacket, 2) not paying attention to the road.

Comments? Suggestions? Insults?
    PS. I'll chuck some pick chers up when I get home.

2. Glad to hear it wasn't worse... and you've clearly already sucked all the lessons out of it!

3. My jacket cost $100 to get repaired when I came off.

Imagine how expensive it could have been if you were wearing it! :eek:

--[Glad you're ok now, BTW :) just goes to show... erm... damn roundabouts]--

4. Glad to hear nothing serious

[/i]

5. oh well sh1t happens, at least you are alive

6. I suppose this is the first accident I've had out of 3 this year (we won't go there) that was actually my fault. Now everyone is telling me its time to give up riding.

I don't know.

Since the really big accident with the other car, I'd been back up riding, and not even had a close call, because I'd learned so much from the past instances.

I've learned from this, and I think I can not let it happen again, but I also wonder, what if a car had of (have?) been coming up the road toward me?
    I suppose if a car was coming, I wouldn't have taken the risk to not be paying attention

7. I suppose this is the first accident I've had out of 3 this year (we won't go there) that was actually my fault. Now everyone is telling me its time to give up riding.

I don't know.

Since the really big accident with the other car, I'd been back up riding, and not even had a close call, because I'd learned so much from the past instances.

I've learned from this, and I think I can not let it happen again, but I also wonder, what if a car had of (have?) been coming up the road toward me?
    I suppose if a car was coming, I wouldn't have taken the risk to not be paying attention

8. Ya goose. Glad it's not worse. Hope you learn from it.

9. Well, now it's off to the doctor to get the dressing changed.

For the fifth time.

:(

10. Damned round-a-bouts!! if only they'd stay where they're supposed to.
    Glad to hear you came up rather unscathed... why have a jacket if you aint gonna wear it bro?

would you mind chucking up a pic of your damaged draggins? I don't think they're all that they have been cracked up to be...

11. Ouch!

3 accidents in a year, eh?

Don't give up. Don't stop riding. You just need to learn from the mistakes you've made.

Persevere.

12. So do you think you will get any cool scars?

13. I made my mistake (riding when I was too tired) and dropped my bike as well. (In the heavy rain. This hot weather has made everyone forget about the heavy rain in Sydney about 10 days ago.

Now my bike is in the bike shop and I desparately want it back. They are so busy, I hope that they get to my bike very soon.

I hope that I never repeat this mistake. As long as you don't make the same mistake twice, you are improving. Actually, certain mistakes are not worth making once. (A deadly mistake is just one of them).

14. Bummer about your fall. It happens, you live & learn. You are more vulnerable on a bike, but if you wear all the gear it sure helps reduce the chance of injury. For me the increased vulnerability is worth it. That's why I got back on. Bikes are quicker, cheaper, freeing and downright fun. Love 'em :) I really do feel caged in a car.

15. If you really find it annoying putting a normal bike jacket on for city commuting then have a look at the draggin jackets. They are made similar to the jeans and are much less restricting than a normal bike jacket.

Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt though!

16. No good supposing this and that, what if you had been struck by lightning while riding in the nude doing a wheelie?

Youve already taken the lesson and realised that it could have been much worse.
    Job done, grab the bike and get the nerves out of your system.

Happy riding.

17. what can i say?

bugger!

18. Glad to hear nothings broken. Now about those draggins, if they're as bad as you say they are at 30km/h, that's a concern!

19. I seem to recall from Vicroads statistics that majority of accidents happen with 20km radias or 10 mins from your home.Playing the percentages makes sense I suppose, seeing as thats where you spend the most time,at or near your home.
    Now :blah: Tis a rare day that I dont totally gear up.Just got into a habit from day 1. Can literally count on the digits on my body-which are all still there touch wood-the number of times I have gone riding without full regalia of gear. I just always figured falling off my bike out the front of my home, hurts just as much as it does 200 kilmetres away and is just as likely.WEAR YA GEAR YA DUFUS! :soapbox: hollier than thou rave finished.

20. I think you need to consider buying a motard - then you could ride over those pesky roundabouts :LOL:.