Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

dropped the bastard, again...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by idontlikemondays, Aug 31, 2006.

1. so i was cruising down glebe point, doing about 60, little traffic, bloke in front of me ran through a pedistrian crossing with people waiting, id didnt see them till late. decided to slam on the brakes, and stopped with plenty of room, no worries except for a late lock up of the rear wheel. i decided then i should practise what i read somewhere, only use the front brake in an emergancy stop. so went down further towards broadway, no traffic near me, checked mirrors, then slammed on the brake, got down to id be guessing about 20, then a front wheel lockup. went under me. shit.
    got up, picked up the bike (seemed alot lighter than the first time i dropped it) and surveyed the damage.little scratch on bar and the front brake, not even a bent lever. few scratches and little dent on the near end of the brand new staintune, i can deal with those. but the friggin forks are bent again. no where near as badly as last time, but that means 250, for one new fork, plus a new axel. then i checked the knee i came down on, bit of bruising. it's just a pain!! right when im due for rego for the car and 24000k service on the bike.
    and i wasnt even being a tool, just trying to practise saftey.
    anyway, hope everyone elses night was spill and incident free

2. Where did you hear that pile of shit? :shock:

Use both brakes to stop the bike whether it's an emergency or not. Most of the stopping comes from the front brake, while the rear brake settles the back wheel and provides a bit of braking assistance. You don't need a lot of rear brake but you should have just enough to keep the back wheel settled. Always start breaking lightly to load the suspension, then progressively increase the pressure on the brakes as needed until you stop. If you're locking the wheel then (in the absence of other factors such as oil) thjen you're applying too much pressure too soon and need to be more progressive.

Emergency braking is simply an application of good braking technique to stop in the shortest possible distance. You don't always need the shortest possible distance but you should always use good braking technique. How else would you be confident you'll do it when it counts? :)
  3. don't ever 'slam' on the brakes, always set up and squeeze, even if it's a very quick action, and what's this crap about only using your front brake in an emergency situation, if it's an emergency you need all the brakes you have at your disposal!
  4. you son of a biatch seany you stole my thoughts and published them for your own! :mad:
  5. Don't do that.

Squeeze the brakes, sometimes hard and fast if the situation calls for it but don't slam them on.
  6. glad to hear your ok though!
    yea...we we're taught to use both front and back brakes in an emergency stop...we we're also told that if you get a lock up, release and re-apply brakes...correct me if i'm wrong.

practice it on a quiet road and see how your bike reacts...

stay safe...and yea keep alert and watch out for thise silly pedestrians who think they are invinsible....
  7. If the front wheel locks, release the brake and reapply smoothly. :)

If the back wheel locks, wait till the bike is straight then release it and reapply smoothly. :)

Often when the back wheel locks, it can slide to the side. If you release the brake when the back wheel is sticking out the side it will re-grip and high side the bike. :wink:
  8. It might be worth mentioning that when your practicising things like emergency braking, to work up to the shorter and harder stops. Start of gently, and get firmer and firmer until you find your and the bikes limits. Atleast that way you'll know how far you can go before you lose traction.
  9. Your forks are probably fine having not run into anything, just twisted out of alignment. Simple fix to do yourself if able or a mech will do it for very little or free.

If forks are bent, just get them straightened up again, $60 per fork usually.

Plus what the others said about braking, bad luck mate.
  10. I used to overuse the rear brake.
    Had little lockups on a regular basis, some resulting in the rear sliding a bit sideways.

I changed my method after overshooting the painted line at traffic lights one time by just over a bikelength. I figured i'd be into the back of a truck if the situation was differnt.

I practiced front brake only a few times low speed then medium then fast and then re-introduced a bare minimum or rear brake and its much easier now. You just need to practice in the comfort zone before stepping it up :wink:
  11. Back brake actually helps push the front down harder on the road, so it's definitely worth using some... but as the front bites and dives the back gets lighter so you need to get off it a bit. Practice, man, practice...
  12. Well done Seany for providing good advice. This is the first time i've posted in a while. All these newbs, -note not noobs- can get frustrating. Maybe they should be forced to read the articles section first.

Emergency braking involves progressive braking, like all braking i guess, of course you'll lock up if you slam on the brakes. And listen to Seany's advice.

And practice in a quiet spot, at low speeds and build up. You have to learn to walk before you can run.
  13. The rear brake, if not locked, will help stabilise the bike by applying a rearward drag to the rear of teh bike. It also helps make the rear suspension squat a bit if it is initially applied before the front, which helps reduce the forward pitching moment.
    Of course, this works better on bigger heavier bikes with soft suspensions, but you get the idea. My bike, if I brake hard front and back, will pop up about 2" in the rear after I release the brake when stopped.

Regards, Andrew.
  14. I know I am just adding to what has already been said but setting up is essential to correct braking procedures.

To see this get onto your bike (not on and not in gear) and push hard on the bars, see how much movement there is. Now stand up and press on the rear brake, try pressing on the bars again.

Notice that there is no where near as much movement :grin:
  15. The correct spelling is, of course, 'n00bs'... or possibly 'n00bX0r2' :p
  16. please no leet! christ that stuf does my eyes in and the worst thing is i can understand it!!!

its maninly

closley folowed by :cry:
  17. That's as good of an explanation in correct braking technique as you are likely to get.... The rest is a "touchy feely" thing which can only be gained with experience and practice.
    Never just "slam on" the front brakes - a quick but agressive squeeze will have you stopping in a very short distance...anything else - especially in the wet, will have you copping a close-up view of the road. :-(

18. Er, yes, as the guys have said, the correct technique for emergency braking is set up and squeeze progressively.

...Ya twonker!
  19. Dear idon'tlike monkeys
    When I did my rider training yonks ago, I had an instructor that we all called "DRAGON LADY", but if it wasn't for her me & hubby would have been on our asses heaps.
    She instucted us to SETUP ie to compress the suspension, then squeeze the brake lever.
  20. locking up the rear is not a bad thing, it just makes it fun - But make sure you don't go too far with it. You can step the back wheel out along way if you are doing the right thing with the front brakes and the bikes weight.

main thing is controling the front brakes - If the rear locks you can get it back - if the front locks up you go down.