Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

dropped r6 wont start

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Prawns, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Arghh what a way to end the week, coming back from work and I pulled up next to my garage to open it, put the stand down and just as i was transfering my weight off the bike, the stand kicked back up and i was too slow to stop the bike falling (although i did slow its descent alot) so the bike laid down on the ground fairly softly and I picked it back up to check damage. Looks pretty good, just a slight mark on engine case but rest is fine.
    Now the bloody thing wont start, its kicking over fine but not firing at all.
    Pleeeese somebody tell me its only flooded - Im beginning to panick about my baby :(

2. probably flooded, possibly tilt sensor stuck?

come back to it in halfa and see how it goes

3. cheers coconuts - havnt heard of a tilt sensor before, I assume its somthing to kill the engine in a accident?
    Anyways, Hope the girl starts, otherwise I'm guessing I might start learning alot more about tilt sensors

4. yeah, you got the right idea there :)

just a suggestion tho, first thing to pop to mind aside from the carbs flooding (it IS carbs isn't it?). hate for it to be something in the ignition, thats a pain in the arse to work out. ooh! checked the sidestand switch? maybe try starting with the clutch in? ideas ideas....

5. Each time chengaleng drops her across it floods the engine and you've gotta wait for a while before you can restart it.

Let us know how you go.

6. It is probably just flooded, but if after half an hour it still doesn't want to fire, try taking the headlight fuse out and starting it - it might help.

7. turn the key off and on a few times
    need to reset the tilt sensorthingie

8. is that what they call them in technical terms :LOL:

9. yes its tanyatechnicaltalk :)

10. No need to wait really, just open the trottle right up and hold the starter, will kick in no problems. I've done this a couple of times with my Across.

11. right up there with "that jigger" "the whatsyoumacallit" and the "jesus! wheredidthatgo?" :LOL:

i love tech talk :)

12. i know about the key thingajagig cos i read it my zx6's manual.. it resets the sensor, the bike won't start without it being done.. and my six started right away afterwards.

I read it about an hour before i dropped it and had to use it :(

13. Did ur heart stop as u saw her falling?

Im gonna go with evry one else she is probably flooded but u proably know that all readdy.

14. Just went out an threw my R6 down the road to check, it flooded but started after a few minutes though. Sorry I couldn't help with the diagnosis.

15. Bluplet wrote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loz wrote:
    Each time chengaleng drops her across it floods the engine and you've gotta wait for a while before you can restart it.

Let us know how you go.

No need to wait really, just open the trottle right up and hold the starter, will kick in no problems. I've done this a couple of times with my Across.

God how many times do you grop bikes???

16. I hope you mean Drop and not grope :p

17. Cheers for all the replys guys, it started with full throttle after about 20mins -was definatly just flooded. Yeah my heart jumped to my throat for a second and I had a nice decision whether to let it go down slow or blow my knee again -have put off a knee reconstruction for a while now and it was about to protest loudly
    I took it for a run to a mates house and came back - wouldnt go into first gear for my driveway but eventually got it in, checked it out and the footpeg had been bent slightly causing the gear selector shaft that runs through the frame to actually hit the frame and not release properly. Was thanking god at this stage as it was a quick 30second fix to bend it back with help of BFS (Big F Screwdriver)
    So whole bikes cool now :)

Time for another vb i think

18. i flooded the storm once , not from a drop though.
    both carbs full of fuel , stuck it in 3rd , got a big run up and popped the clutch .( roll start)
    it emptyed the carbs out , and everyone in the northern suburbs of melbourne thought they had been shot .
    twin pipes and large bang = temorary deafness :LOL:

moralis , if its flooded , push start it and it will empy the carbs as she rolls over .