Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

dropped or not?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by robbie55, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Ok i've read all (well most) posts about good bikes for learners and POS's.

I've reached a decision that a second hand GS500 is for me. The main sticking point tends to be the Fairing. I've been riding a 200cc scoot (149kg dry) for 14months, about 10k's, no off, no drop (touch wood).

I have three main q's:

1. Would you all still recommend I stick with no fairing?
    2. I have seen two similar examples around $6200, one with fairing but has been dropped and one without fairing not dropped although slightly more K's. Which one? Can provide more details if helpful.
    3. Should I stop being a P(ssy and buy a new one or larger cc bike as I have a full licence?

2. 1. Go with whatever gets you horny
    2. Up to you, I prefer good mechs over good asthetics
    3. Doesn't matter, as long as you're having fun
  3. Your chance of a drop theoretically decreases with experience so you're coming in with some which is a good thing.
    Fairing or not is a personal choice. Go with the flavour that puts a smile on your face.
    Take out insurance and you wont have to worry about fixing plastics (and metal bits).
  4. So you haven't really made up your mind? How about you take a few bigger ones for a test ride and see how they feel. They might give you a buzz, or might not feel right at all.

As for a scratched fairing - depends on the type of person you are. If it will always bug you that it's not perfect, then it's not worth it. If it will put you at ease, rather than riding something brand spanking new, shiny...