Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dropped lid?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by yardman, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Anyone seen or done this? What does it look like?

Just been rainx'ing my visor and noticed five pretty apparent (what look like) stone chips on one side, 4-6mm diameter. I can't think of how I've caused this.

Only thing I can think of is someone has knocked my helmet off the mirror whilst the bike has been parked, then put in back without saying anything...
  2. Big beetles make quite a wallop!
  3. Stone chips can be just that, chips from stones thrown up by other traffic. Helmets are not for life they are a disposable object that you should replace within a 5 year timeframe.
  4. I don't get why people leave helmets on their bikes without locks or anything, they could've done something and you would never know...
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. I don't get why people put them on their mirrors, that's a long way to drop. The pillion peg is far better for holding a helmet temporarily IMO.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. With a lock attached that's probably the best option if you're going to leave it on the bike
  7. If you drop your pie yeah you gotta replace it ( unless your really really hangry ) but a helmet is okay and as Cjvfr said replace every few years.
  8. The only time my helmet stays on my bike is if I'm staying close to the bike. If I'm leaving the bike, the helmet leaves with me. I've heard too many blokes have had their helmets stolen. Using a helmet lock doesn't stop the fcukers from cutting the straps. I'm bemused as to why anyone would cut the straps and steel the helmet, but hey, they do.

Oh and in regards to the OP. Probably stone chips etc from normal use. If your helmet is in otherwise good nick and no more than 4 or so years old, don't worry about it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I bet he did say something, and it probably started with "FCUK! I hope the carnt didn't see that"
  10. Thankfully my worst drops were from about 10cm (not high enough to warrant a replacement I believe), and a higher fall that had a really dramatic clumsy catch before it hit the deck. Phew!

I have small chips on the lacquer too - but I suspect that's from road crap, like the guys have said.
    at 4-6mm that'd have to be a big rock though.

If you leave your helmet loose where it can fall from a height I guess you can't discount the possibility?
  11. I can't lock my helmet onto either of my rear pegs because of the exhaust system and there isn't anywhere on the so called pillion area to attach either.
    So generally the mirror it is but on the Zed they are quite upright, more like antennae, so less likely to come adrift than may happen on many other bikes.
  12. Not when you are riding a postie bike :p
    • Funny Funny x 1