Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dropped helmet :-((

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by arc, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Repair

2. Replace

0 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I dropped my helmet this evening before the start of the Vic Thursday Night Mystery Ride.

I'd pushed my bike up from filling up with fuel towards the rest of the group, jumped off, and stuck my helmet on the bar end like I always do hanging from the mouth area of the helmet. Took a few steps away and started munching on a pie then there was an insanely loud CRACK which echoed around and a sudden silence from the group. Seems like my Arai Vector with the visor open slipped off (I mustn't have locked my steering all the way to the left). From careful inspection it seems to have landed on the left brow vent/top edge of the visor and edge of the top head vent as below highlighted in yellow:

The only damage seems to be that the force of the drop must have pushed the visor hard against the retaining pins and one tiny black locating pin on the right hand side which the top of the visor swivels around broke. This pin seems to hold the plate/cover to the helmet. I tried to get a photo of this but it looks terrible, no macro function.

Oh, there was also some minimal scratching highlighted in red above.

I immediately thought I was up for a new helmet because of the drop, but after discussing with some folks after the run they thought I should be able to get it repaired. It closes OK and stays closed, just the side cover flaps around when the helmet is open.

It didn't fall far, but I can still hear the sound it made when it did. Should I replace it as a matter of course? I don't care about the money, I care more about my head in case I do take a tumble later on.

Thanks for your thoughts,
  2. Please do a search on the topic, it's just about been done to death.

The answer is the same for all of these little "oopsies"
  3. Thanks Vic. Saved me the angst.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.