Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dropped bike, won't start

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by lornetkowiec, Oct 9, 2009.

1. So they tell me it was bound to happen eventually...

Trying to open a gate I stupidly thought the side stand was down but of course it wasn't, and over goes the little gpx onto its left side. No damage whatsoever apart from a brusied ego from a few workmates having a good laugh at my expense.

I lift the bike up (engine still on) when it starts to sputter and turns off. I try to start it but no go. This was at 12:30 I thought it may just be flooded but I tried just now (3hrs later) and same result. It wants to kick over but just fails.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated
  2. Did you try to restart it with the clutch pulled in and throttle fully open and held open?

Normally this works and the motor will finally catch and run rough and then regain normal running.

if you have already tried this my apologies :0)
  3. This is by no means a mechanical technique, but my girlfriends 250rr did that after the side stand sunk in some grass, zero damage to the bike but wouldn't start, I found that after walking the bike round a couple of times and rocking forward then pulling the front brake hard, it seemed to start with a little stutter then went perfectly.

Again, i'm no mechanic, but it can't hurt to try?
  4. Keep at it mate, the GPX/ZZR engine can be a biatch to start period. Just don't overheat the starter motor: crank for 5-7 seconds then give it a break for 5-7 seconds, etc. And beware the headlight sometimes comes on when you're cranking, so if you give up, switch the bike off.

+1 to Smoky's technique. I'd even throw full choke on, the excess fuel has probably evaporated after three hours.
  5. Yep, good advice. The bike has basically flooded and you need to get rid of the extra fuel.