Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dropped bike on the front brake

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by UserInterface, Jan 22, 2013.

1. silly me dropped my bike today on the front break, it think the leaver might be bent and there is now slack left to right on my accelerator.
    Should this be something I can fix myself? the bike was new a few weeks ago..

2. if you have to ask you dont know how to fix this ,,,,,,,take it to a bike shop and get them to fix and check out the bike,,hope you learnt some thing about a hand full of front break

3. If the brake lever is aluminum, try not to just bend it back into place coz it will snap.................heat it up first with a blow torch or something and bend it slowly.

Replacement is a better option :).

As for the slack, show us a pic of your lever and cable....you maybe able to adjust/tighten it.

4. Don't try this with aluminium alloy. You'll more than likely only end up with something even more likely to snap, or something considerably weakened with the potential to bend under heavy braking.

It is possible to do if you have access to a temperature controlled furnace and want to go through the careful process of recreating the original precipitation-hardened structure - but it's much, much easier to just spend the $20 or so on a replacement.

Steel levers are a different matter entirely, but are rarely found on modern bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Silly you indeed! :)

If the lever's bent, fixing it is probably not going to be an option since the metal's already stressed and trying to straighten it is a really good way to snap it off. If it's only a little bit bent, live with it, otherwise replace it.

As far as the "slack" goes, do you mean the grip is sliding in and out along the bar? That could be an issue, again depending how much it's moving. On my bike, the throttle grip is held in place by a raised "lip" that goes inside the control box on that side. There's a tiny bit of free play, but it's barely noticeable. If yours is moving significantly, something could be broken and may need to be repaired/replaced, but perhaps you could just open up the control box and take a look - maybe something just needs tightening. Not sure how complicated that is on your bike (CB125e?) but on mine it's just a couple of screws so shouldn't be all that hard to take a quick look if you're feeling confident/adventurous.

6. Yeah I'll have a better look when I get home, I was late to work when it happened so just had a quick glance at it.
    I am hoping that it just rotated around the bar but will have a look in the light tonight. Could be same with accelerator, might have just pushed it left on the bar so that it is loose..
    Just wanted to make sure there was nothing that I had to look out for.

Also was having trouble selecting gears so hope there is not more damage then what is on the surface.. oh well you live and learn :(

7. Yup replacement is better.........................but im a cheap arse if you cant tell already lol.

8. That I can relate to. I got nearly 6 months out a clutch lever held together with superglue (then fitted a Yamaha lever 'cause it was cheaper than a Suzuki one) ;)

9. Clutch lever snapped :oops: ... shoved the meeting ends into a short piece of copper tube bashed slightly flattish ... wrapped it with some cloth tape and stuck shrink wrap over the lot. Lasted 6 months til the OEM replacement price got reasonable.

Still have that lever somewhere for spare :D

10. :LOL: Nice.

Since we're talking dodgy repairs, there are some bikes where you can easily use the rear pillion pegs as an impromptu clutch or brake lever (once you remove the rubber part) ;)
    2007_010.

• Like Like x 3
  11. if i could'nt speak proper English i think i'd just go back to my own country.

12. HAHA took a minute to work out what i was looking at in that photo.

13. BIKE HAS BENT HANDLEBARS, FRONT RIM HAS A DINT RIGHT SIDE STILL HOLDING AIR , FRONT HEADLIGHT SURROUN LITTLE DINTED, NEEDS FRONT RIGHT INDICATOR, FRONT GUARD CRACKED, EXHAUST HAS A LIGHT SCRATCH ACROSS, RIGHT MIRROR AND FRONT BRAKE LEVER SCRATCHED, LEFT FORK LEG LITTLE SCUFFED, NEEDS LEFT RIDER PEG, LEFT PILLION PEG SCRATCHED AND GEAR LEVER LITTLE BENT, TANK HAS A FEW LIGHT SCUFFS

I am sure I can replace pegs and indicator lights myself but what do I go about gear lever and handlebars

14. @streetmaster@streetmaster would do the lever and handlebars if you want someone to do them. He's in Frankston, and also has a mobile repair service. Google Streetmaster Motorcycle Repairs.

15. Gear lever and handlebars are pretty easy to do yourself too. Clip ons are a slightly more difficult undertaking, but definitely doable by a amateur.

After a crash like that, it's a good idea to loose all the front end nut and bolts, square everything up and then systematically tighten it all again.

I'd also be very concerned about the dent in the rim. You might want to get a professional to look at it. The fact that it is holding air is nowhere near the full story.