Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

dropped bike, need help

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by horto15, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Hi all,

OK firstly, please excuse my ignorance in regards to this question.

I drive a suzuki across and a couple of days ago I hit some gravel while turning at a slow speed (managed to jump clear and no injuries) however my bike was not so lucky. It fell to the left and punctured a hole in the round cup shaped part that sticks out on all bikes, with about 2 litres of oil spewing out from it. I thought this was an oil resovoir, part of the sump but I think having read a bit of the owners manual that it is the clutch cover?

Can someone please confirm or deny this for me, so that I can order a replacement part? Ill hopefully pick the part up from a wrecker rather than buy it new from Suzuki

Thanks a lot
  2. clutch cover

3. I think the clutch cover is on the right hand side actually, even though the clutch cable goes into the left hand side cover.

I was fiddling about with that bit of an Across the other day, replacing the clutch cable, but the plate I'm thinking of on the left side can be removed without spilling oil.

Can you take a photo for us? We can then tell you for sure.
  4. Loz im having trouble putting the thing into 1st gear with the clutch all the way in, and if i go into neutral while in momentum it clashes when i try to put it into gear with the clutch all the way, would this require clutch adjustment??

is this what you did?

and for the OP is the round thing that dropped oil the pic i posted, if so its the clutch, as the clutch is full of oil (wet), Loz are you talking about the cover below the clutch adjuster as shown on this pic???
  5. As far as i know the alternator cover is on the left side. I opened it on a old gsx250 and a same oil came out, whether or not the oil was supposed to be there i am not sure.
  6. [​IMG]

I think I might be confusing people, i'm sure it is a basic part that everyone should know. The black circular cup in the red circle...
  7. generator cover!

but didnt know it has oil in it
  8. Generator cap, OK thanks very much I will try to source a replacement part!
  9. Alternator cover yeah. Not as easy to fit as it might look, or so I'm told. Let us know if you run into trouble.

Wonder if you need a gasket for that one.
  10. Sorry Loz, is generator cover and alternator cover one and the same?
  11. The cover might be the same but a generator and alternator are not :)

12. Some bikes have seperate oil for engine and gearbox, but alot have the one, so i think its the crank case on the right side thats damaged. If u remove that oil will piss out.

Remember you may need a new gasket for it whatever you call it.
  13. [pedantry]

Only if you're American. Elsewhere, an alternator is, very definitely, a generator. What the Americans call a generator is actually a dynamo. A dynamo is also a generator.

If the OP wasn't exaggerating the spilled 2 litres of oil, there won't be much left in there to piss out :shock: .
  14. [slightly off topic defensive justification]
    Or British. Well an alternator is a generator but generally refers to a generator that produces alternating current that must run through a rectifier to convert it to direct current, whereas the generator (aka dynamo) produces direct current (a much simpler design). Also the configuration of coils is generally opposite in terms of housing them in the housing or the spindle. An alternator uses more complicated circuitry and produces useful current from idle. You'd be hard pressed to find a traditional generator/dynamo in a modern car or bike (well maybe in a Ural :p )
    [/slightly off topic defensive justification]

:grin: :grin:

But yeah, I don't know that my bike even HOLDS 2 litres of oil :LOL:
  15. The crankcase is the aluminium main housing for the bottom part of the engine, and is usually attached to the bottom of the frame, at the front and the rear of the engine.

The cylinders sit on top of the crankcase, the cylinder heads (which have the exhausts connected at the front and the carbs connected at the rear) sit on top of the cylinders.

On one side of the crankcase you usually find the alternator, which in many japanese engines is immersed in the engine oil, which sits in the crankcase. The left cover on the Across will be either called the alternator cover, or a crankcase cover (because it also covers the end of the crankcase). It is not the crankcase itself which is damaged (better not be!) but the crankcase/alternator cover.

The OP possibly won't need a gasket for the alternator cover because many of them are made of a rubber type material which is frequently reusable. But this one might not be...

The clutch is on the right hand side of the bike, under the big bulge behind the cylinder on that side. The cable which operates the clutch release mechanism actually enters on the left side of the bike and pushes a rod which passes through the centre of the countershaft and continues right across to the clutch itself on the other side of the bike.

This was a suzuki feature for many years...maybe they still use it. Most other bikes have the clutch cable enter the housing right at the clutch itself.

And finally, the overwhelming majority of bikes use the same oil for engine, clutch and gearbox, because they are in the same housing. This means you should frequently change oil, at 5,000 km intervals at the most, to avoid too much contamination of the engine oil.

Trevor G

PS Generator originally described a device which produced DC current, while alternator described a device which produced AC. I know at least one of the J makers calls the alternator a generator, but that is not an important issue as long as it keeps charging the battery!
  16. Most likely.
  17. If the OP wasn't exaggerating the spilled 2 litres of oil, there won't be much left in there to piss out :shock: .[/quote]

Yeh i know it would of spilled out all of its oil basically, i meant if the bike wasn't damaged and you removed that part of the bike then out comes ur oil.

On my bike i looked in the parts catalogue and says Crankcase.
  18. Guys thanks for all your help, really appreciate it!

2 Litres was an estimation but I think a fairly accurate one. I have since drained out what little oil was left, ready to remove the part and replace it.

TrevorG, thanks for the in-depth explanation, looks like it is definitely the alternator/generator/crankcase cover then, I will ring up a couple of wreckers at lunch today or call suzuki if need be.

Will let you know how I go.

Any suggestions of wreckers that would carry Across parts? The couple of bike wreckers in Hobart were no use to me last time...
  19. Yeh i know it would of spilled out all of its oil basically, i meant if the bike wasn't damaged and you removed that part of the bike then out comes ur oil.

On my bike i looked in the parts catalogue and says Crankcase.[/quote]

look OP just go to suzuki, and tell them its that round cover on the l/h side that sticks out, think its the generator cover that says suzuki on it, they will cross reference it on their computer and know what your talking about and give you a quote

youve probably already done that, im sure there is a suzuki dealer in your neck of the woods try this
    2 Florence Street,

Moonah, TAS 7009

Ph (03) 6228 6626

Fax (03) 6228 3669
  20. Tomcatalex's suggestion isn't bad. Take careful note of which bit of your bike is damaged and go to your dealer. If you ask the spares bod nicely, you may be able to get a look at the microfiche yourself (do they still use microfiche spares books? Or am I really, really out of date :? ?), and point to the bit you need.

And, veering OT in the finest NR tradition, I was always taught that a generator is a device which generates electricity. Thus both alternators and dynamos are subcategories of the more general term generator.

And no, I don't think there's been a vehicle made for at least a couple of decades, even in the third world, which employs a dynamo.