Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

dropped bike.. fuel!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by jadas, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    So I dropped my bike tonight. Not heavily, and the important parts all landed on soft grass. However I notcied that a bit of fuel had leaked onto the ground and I'm not sure where from. Is this something usually happens when a bike is dropped??

Cheers

2. yes it is

3. been there done that

4. ah... should i worry?!!

5. Just don't drop it again and you'll be right

6. No mate. All good. Usually will spill some fuel from the over flow or tank. No biggy.
    Did it start?
    Usually after a drop you might need to use WOT to start it. Full throttle till it fires. It will splutter for a second or two then come to life and run normal again.
    WOT being Wide Open Throttle.

7. if you do drop it again make sure its also on soft grass. Pick it up soon to reduce fuel loss ;)

8. yep, started it up again, and it did sound a tiny bit weird for maybe a few seconds. All seems to be good though!
    Thanks everyone

9. No idea what bike it is, but does it leak when it's upright now? I've seen a few (mostly older) mates bikes that have been dropped where the fuel line has been punctured or loosened between the tank and the carb. Not often, but worth giving a look over.

Might be worth checking the carbs sump plug, and see if that's loose also.

But it's probably fine.

10. I'll keep that in mind and try my best!

11. I'd be more worried about the fuel killing the grass !!