Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dropped bike, broke clutch area

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by slygrog, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Hello,

I was trying to park my bike in a wet/mossy area at my new house yesterday (I know, dumb) and unsurprisingly I dropped it. It landed right on the clutch lever and snapped it clean off (the snapped lever is still attached to the clutch cable but not the rest of the bike). Now I can't get the bike to sit in neutral even long enough to roll it backwards a bit.

Is this a normal issue for the condition of my clutch? Or does it sound like more serious damage?

Usually i would do the research myself but I have no Internet at the new place AND I just smashed my iPhone screen. Le sigh.

Any idea approx how much this will cost at a mechanics? Should I attempt it myself?

I do have a few photos but can't upload ATM.
  2. Can you explain what you mean by "won't sit in neutral"?
    And have you had a look at the gear change lever?
  3. Your description isn't very clear (sorry).

Have you damaged the clutch fluid reservoir or just the lever (also do you have a mechanical or hydraulic clutch?)

It would help if you could upload a photo of the damage (also of the gear shift as it might be bent also). Even some camera phone shots would do.
  4. Are you simply saying the bike is in gear and without a lever to operate the clutch, you can't roll it. If so just ignore the clutch and use the gear lever to select neutral.

If it is a cable operated clutch simply replace the lever - an easy job. If a mechanic does it the biggest cost will be getting it to the mechanics. If you can't do it yourself offer beer for someone to do it for you.

If you have aa hydraulic operated clutch, there may be damage other than the lever. It may be as simple still as replacing the lever (slightly more fiddly probably than replacing a cable operated clutch lever but not much) or could be more complex/expensive depending on what other damage ther is.

A generic clutch lever will normally cost about $15-$20 if they have one to suit your bike. Genuine parts are likely to cost more.

Edit - Just noticed you are female. You may not even have to offer beer, which will make the job cheaper :LOL:
  5. Hi again,

Sorry for the delay. I'm sneakin' on at work.

So, first, my comments about neutral. I was trying to move my bike from the middle of the driveway (where I'd dropped it and picked it back up). I tapped the gear lever into neutral in order to push the bike (turned off) but the bike would not move. I tapped the lever down to first and up to neutral, to check it was actually in neutral, and the wheels still wouldn't spin. I tapped the lever up to second, and back down to neutral, to make sure nothing was stuck or whatever. Still, nothing. The bike is acting as if I am trying to roll it around while it's in gear - the wheels move slightly and then lock.

It's a mechanical clutch. The only damage I can see seems to be to the lever. Crap photos attached.

Because I'm in the middle of a move and crazy things are happening at work, I still haven't had time to sort this out with a mechanic, so I remain curious about your thoughts.

Attached Files:

6. Can you 'squeeze' (the broken handle) part of the clutch in to use as per normal, on to the part that is still bolted to the handle bar ? If you can apply pressure back on itself enough to see if the cable will move and engage the clutch to see if THIS will free the wheels to move? may need help from another set of hands tho..
    Cant understand why selecting thru the gear lever it isnt 'releasing' into neutral, yet you can select first and second passing thru neutral?
  7. ooh thats a gs500f

edit: have your ignition on so you can see the green light come on when you hit neutral properly. It SHOULD move there is no reason destroying any part of the clutch lever/cable should stop this. Its in the gearbox that you will be in neutral clutch dont matter
  8. I'm getting a very strong feeling of deja vu from those pics... :p

It did get a bit tricky to find neutral for me too after one of my countless drops.
    Try with ignition on like Jag said. You might've actually been flipping between 2nd and 3rd.

Also, I find it was easier to shift without the clutch while the bike was on centrestand (rear wheel off the ground). Could've been just my imagination though.
  9. If you've only tried "one up and one down", you might have been in (say) fourth to start with.
    Try tapping it down through the gears until it won't tap down any further (you may have to rock it a little between changes), then up one into neutral.
    Then have your clutch lever replaced.
  10. Yeah my thoughts are you are getting a false neutral.

Try tapping down and rocking the bike back and forth a bit.
  11. +1 for rocking the bike back and forward while trying to shift.
    I have a GS500f and it doesnt like shifting through gears much while stationary although if i rock it back and forth while trying to shift I never have issues.
  12. Trying to make this very clear, for any noob who may not understand. With the motor not truning it may be hard to select a gear. So for example you could be in 2nd and not be able to select down to 1st. This may casue you to think you are already in 1st and so when you try to selct neutral you are actually going into 3rd. This is just an example and you could be in any gear.

Trying to select down while rocking the bike may allow the teeth in the gear box to get into a different position so that instead of jamming you do actually select down the range. You could also do this by putting the bike on cetrestand/paddock stand and spinning the rear wheel why you puch down on the gear lever.

Turning on the ignition should show if you are really slecting neutral or somehweere else in the gear box.

However the reality is that if you bike has a cable operated cluthc, fitting a new clutch lever is just about as simple as it gets. Probably much easier to replace the lever than try to get the bike to a shop.