Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Drizabone suitable for low-speed protection?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Quadlex, Oct 14, 2005.

1. I'm looking to get a scooter (I know, I know, but I still want one) to get me from work and uni to home. The fastest stretch I cover on my trip is a 70K/h strip lasting about 3 minutes, otherwise it's all 60K/h.

I'm planning to buy a good helmet (My brain is all I have:p) and wear Blundestone leather work boots (Steel capped, thick leather and grippy soles), get a pair of riding gloves and some good pants.

However, I already own a Drizabone riding coat, which is alot thinner then a leather jacket, not to mention it's cost to purchace is nil. It goes from high around the neck to my ankles, with straps to hold it to your legs and buttons to keep it closed. I know the fabric is fairly durable, but I want to know if they're suitable as protection for a prang at 60K/h.

If not, I'll obviously save up some more for a riding jacket, as I've got a perfect example in not what to do in my dad, who's been in a few bike crashes (And plane crashes... And caught between a train and a platform... He's got less original skin left on him then Michael Jackson), but I figured it'd be worth seeing what the wise men thought first.
  2. NO buy the correct riding gear..... remember just because we ride bike the speed limit is still 60km/hr so doesn't matter if you come of a motorbike or a scooter... you want the best protection you can get
  3. its just canvas, probably wouldn't even be as strong as denim. a leather or cordura jacket will set you back $200 new or even less second hand.

on the other hand, it is just a scooter, you probly wont be able to go much faster than the average pushbike anyways :p
  4. Didn't we find out the last scooter death was in SA in 1969....

Do you reckon its because no one wants to get cought dead on one? :LOL: :p
  5. Drizbones are basically just cotton, so not really going to provide anymore protection against abrasion than denim - lack of armour also means no impact protection. Places such as Torrini leathers (aka Black Rose) sell full cordura outfits (pants and jacket) with armour for around 250 bucks.
  6. A Drizabone's most likely going to tear and do very little. Its makers never intended it for bike stacks.

Also, if your Blundstones are elastic sided you might want to reconsider those as they're specifically designed to come off easily, so could leave your foot exposed. Even if they stay on, your ankle is not covered by leather. :)
  7. I thought correct safety gear on a scooter was a business suit/skirt with leather shoes like in the ads... :LOL:

Seriously though, scooters are great. Drizabone won't do the trick but a cheap cordura jacket will, and people will think you're a REAL biker... at least until they catch you jumping on yer vespa in the car park!
  8. Cheers everyone, thanks for the quick replies.

Full loadout it is, then. The Driza will be delegated to it's spot in the boot of my car, next to the ammo box full of tools, matches, WD40 and a can of Kilkenny.

Loz: That's the correct safety gear, as long as the most important thing is protecting your ego:p
  9. Don't forget to get a pair of good gloves, too.

And wear clean underwear.

And always wash behind your ears.

Etcetera. :LOL:

10. Now, as I asked my dear old mum when she was still around.....

What is the point of making sure you have clean jocks on "in case you have an accident" :?

Now wearing clean underwear is a good habit, don't get me wrong, but it aint gunna stay clean for long after your sphincter has chewed thru the seat in a vain attempt of self preservation.

Quadlex, go a dri-rider /moto-dri jacket and maybe draggin jeans
    I use Blundstone lace up ankle high boots, and they're fine.

Good luck and enjoy the riding.
  11. Thankyou for the advice.

But, I've still got to get my Learners (Shouldn't be too hard, I'm the most anal driver I know when it comes to road rules), do a QRIDE course (Maybe a bit damaging to the Ego, but I'm sure QLD Transport knows what they're doing), and buy me a 2 wheeled vehicle... Anyone want to rent a 20 year old geek by the hour?
  12. Think about pants as well. Testing for CE standards showed that denim jeans last less than a second when sliding down the road on bitumen.

The best equivalent in looks is Draggin jeans but they can be pretty hot in summer.
  13. Their cargo's aren't too bad in heat, and they have cargos with "zip off" lower legs as well.

Quadlex, I reckon my wife might take up your offer to "rent a 20 year old geek by the hour" She sometimes reckons the 45 year old geek she's got permamently is getting a bit tired and frayed around the edges :shock: :LOL:

14. Aww, c'mon now, you're never too old to sweep the dust out of a PC, overclock the toaster, and mod a window into the side of the kid's teddybear...
  15. Q ,
    congrats on using some common sense , you will need it .
    as the fellas said , dri az a bone wont protect you.
    try and pick up a cheap jacket (motoline) etc when the stores have there sales on , you can normally get them for around or just under $300.
    also pants as well , a lot of places do have second hand leather pants you can pick up until you can afford your own set .

do the best with the budget you have , but leathers wont stop you breaking bones , they will just help with road rash .

congrats on the wheels
    safe riding
  16. Now I like your style! Nothing is as good out of the shop as it is after a coupla hours in my shed :D

But, the missus wasn't after your geek abilities to hire... it was the rentable 20 year old that caught her eye, and imagination 8-[

17. Ah, I see. Don't worry Iffracem, your woman is safe from usurping, I don't swing that way:p
  18. You also need to consider that the scoot may be just the first step to a full-sized bike, and probably sooner rather than later.

If you buy the right gear now, you'll be fully equipped for the step-up and won't have to spend on gear again.

And, if you get out of bikes altogether for some reason, you'll always be able to sell them and get some of your investment back.
  19. i reckon you'll have to get over that before you jump on a bike

i say once you're on a bike, you should aim to break any law possible if it stops you getting run over by a car... otherwise you'll get so stressed about cars breaking the law that you wont be able to enjoy it anyway