Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Driving School, what would you teach a learner?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Zealt, Jul 31, 2008.

1. If you had your own driving school what ONE tip or rule would you have as your #1 to hammer in to the kiddies heads?

Mine would be "Look for Motorbikes not cars, while looking for bikes you will easily spot cars"

I'm asking because a learner just pulled out in front of me five mins ago, the look on her face was priceless though. its not the first time it has happened to me either, I don't get angry at them because they are learning and a close encounter with a motorbike is sure to teach them something about awareness. (Fingers Crossed)

(I know I took a good one but there are plenty more I can think of)

2. 'Concentrate Harder'
  3. My #1 would be to unlearn all Mum & Dads bad habbits :)
  4. Gawd, that's a tricky one. And most of what springs to mind is more 'advanced roadcraft'. But I'll go with what I see the least on roads:

Put yourself in the shoes of other road users and think about what they might want/need to do, and what you can do to make everyone's lives (including your own) easier.

Eg: You're in the left lane of a freeway and the middle lane is empty. You're approaching a merging on-ramp with traffic about to join the freeway - make some room for them by changing lanes. Avoids all the stress of you having to "negotiate" as the lane merges.

Eg: Consciously stay out of blindspots. Yes, people should be checking their blindspots, but just because they have to, doesn't mean we should make their jobs harder by hiding from them.

Eg: The left lane of a two lane road has mysteriously stopped completely. You're in the right lane which is still flowing. Be wary of people who want to join the flowing traffic.

That sort of thing.
  5. Make them learn in a car with no ABS, no power steering, no traction control, no stability control, a non-synchro manual gearbox, no stereo, no speedo and as few safety features as possible.
    In fact a Mini Moke would probably fit the bill perfectly - certainly no time for f*&king around with an ipod or mobile driving one of those. And no "hiding" from the person you just pissed off either.
  6. You forgot the manual ignition advance mate :LOL:
  7. lol, I love the sound of crunching gears :)
  8. I was told to dress in the gear I want to crash in.

No joke - they said i should always think 'today might be the day'.
  9. Yeah I'm being generous, I'll even allow electric start :p.

On a similar note though I reckon basic car maintenance wouldn't be a bad thing either - just simple stuff like checking tyre pressures, fluid levels etc. I tend to find those that actually have an interest in their car tend to be more worried about minor incidents damaging it - unlike those that simply don't give a crap about their car (or anyone elses).
  10. my son has just got his p's i picked blind spots
  11. A motorbike riding school?

A car driving school? well after they have taken an IQ test to weed out all the idiots, I'm not sure...
  12. My Mum taught me to "TRUST NO ONE". People are so occupied with other things in the car that even they dont know what they are doing half the time so how can anyone else know.
  13. But do you trust Mum?
  14. Know where everthing is around you at all times...something we motorcyclists seem to manage well enough, most of the time. :wink:
  15. Everyone trusts their mum thats why they are the BEST :wink:
  16. I am currently teaching my girlfriend how to drive and the things i keep trying to re-inforce in her driving is;
    - to drive with the thought that everyone else on the road is an idiot, and expect them to do something stupid, that way you wont be too surprised to see it if it happens to be true and you are then ready for it.
    -Always use your indicatorsEspecially if you are planning on pulling over, always hit your indicators before your brakes. Having learnt to drive in Northern NSW where our driveway started in a 100k zone it was the first thing my dad taught me 'cause he was petrified that someone would rear end his precious Kingswood, oh yeh... and maybe injure us.
    -Common Courtesy is always apreciated by most good drivers/riders, and a wave or nod to say thanks for letting you in goes a long way, this is something that most wankers on the road will neglect due to the fact that they believe it is their right to cut you off.

Sorry guys that was three...very greedy of me. Maybe the advice for me would be learn to count.
  17. After my awful first experience with learing where I managed to drive over a curb and into a tree, I would saywithout a doubt, how to stop.
  18. Be mindful of others on the road.
    (donts be a f*cking jerk)
  19. 1. Look to where you want to go - force yourself not to fixate on what u don't want to hit
    2. set your speed and gear before the corner - don't touch the front brake in a turn
    3. Push down on the handebar on the side you are turning to. If you're wide, push harder.
    4. Practice starting off from a stand still while covering your rear brake
    5. Practice putting you left foot down at the last moment when stopping by progressively changing to first on the approach and slowly applying both brakes to stop on target - without coasting on the clutch.

Ok, so that's 5 - but I reckon those are really important.

20. I remember being taught not to coast on clutch when driving a manual car but was never taught about it on a MC. Was wondering why you shouldn't.