Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Driver jailed after two die in text crash

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by undii, Mar 9, 2006.

1. from http://theage.com.au/news/national/...e-in-text-crash/2006/03/08/1141701576129.html

2. Good outcome for justice crap for the family. RIP
  3. i wonder if this will tech the guy a lesson though lol
    i have seen people still talk and texting while driving
    i think the punishment should of been a little more harsher though
  4. A 23 year old with six people in the car, 3 of them girls under 16...

Could be totally innocent in that regard...
  5. The law system needs to realise that a car is just as much a deadly weapon as a gun or a knife. So the penalty and sentencing should reflect that.
    If I walked out into my backyard and randomly started shooting guns in the air and a bullet fell to earth and killed someone, do you think I'd get a couple of years and a slap on the wrist? fcuk no, I'd be thrown in prison for 10+ years. These double standards are a joke.
  6. thats what i mean
    its pathetic that u can kill a person and only get a few years in jail..
    i would chop his hands off so he could never drive or text again
    yes its harsh but life is fragile as well
  7. it's not a double standard it's a logical distinction between murder and manslaughter. the guy seemed genuinely remorseful, four years is a fair portion of anyones life to miss out on, i don't believe it's a slap on the wrist.
  8. No one said it was murder. But the average sentence for manslaughter is 7 years. He was responsible for the deaths of two people so you'd expect the sentence to reflect that and be slightly higher. But because they charge you with culpable driving and not manslaughter, you get much lesser sentencing. Now THAT"S a double standard.
  9. Allegedly the text message was asking him whether he wanted to be fixed up with one of the girls.