Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Driver Instruction

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smidsy, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Hei Guys,
    My neice is coming up for her licence in the next month and brother and I have a difference of opinion on how to go.

He thinks she should go Auto only and once she is used to driving upgrade to a manual licence.

My view is that she should go straight for a manual, that trying to integrate gear changing and clutch use in to her driving will be unnecessarily difficult and that learning these from the start is much easier.

Thought and opinions please.
  2. Go the manual first. I am making my kids learn that way. But - they do have a farm to learn the basic clutch routine on.
  3. #3 Incontinentia, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
    Better to go the auto. That way she can paint her face while on the way to school or work. Gotta be considerate and shit.
  4. Does Learners have a restriction on it or is that only when you go for P's?
    If no restriction on L's try here out on both (maybe auto first) and see how she goes.
    My niece in Vic mainly learns on Auto but wants to get her license on manual and is doing ok on a manual when i took her. She just needs practice in gear selection that only comes with time.
    Ages ago in NSW you could go for the test on auto then drive a manual.
  5. My thought and opinion is that your neice should find herself a good professional driving school, pay the money and get taught to drive what she wants, without interference from daddy or uncle.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but ...(shrug).. you asked.
  6. The problem is that being a typical teenager, if given the choice she would take the easiest option.
    As for money, this is a daddy pays job - her parents decided they would finance her driving lessons so she could focus on study instead of getting a part time job.
  7. We paid for about a dozen lessons for each of the kids. I taught them some basics, but left it to the expert to teach them how to pass the test. Then I taught them some road craft. So far they have had no accidents (including a teenage boy with three years driving). I feel that the diving instructors were primarily focussed on city driving and test passing. I live way out of town, so have had to teach them overtaking myself.
  8. Manual, it gives a better understanding of vehicle operation and hopefully an interest in learning how to operate it with a high level of skill.