Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Driver does u-turn, kills biker, someone shoots driver

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Kaer, Aug 26, 2005.

1. http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/firstglance/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1125024599309040.xml&coll=1

2. Here we go again....biker gets hard done by by car driver and that justifies shooting the car driver....only in America.

In case we haven't noticed lately, we actually live in a society that has LAWS. Laws say we are not at liberty to be judge, jury and executioner, no matter how angry or frustrated we are.

Yes, it's a tragedy that the motorcyclist died, but that is NOT an excuse for someone to take a gun to the driver, no matter how guilty you might think they are.

In case it has escaped your notice, people, there are a heaps of people in our society who are more marginalised, more disadvantaged, more vulnerable than us..

Get some perspective.

3. Too right. You may not agree with the laws, or they might not suit you at the time, but rarely is that an excuse to break them or make up your own.

4. ditto, sad and unneccesary

5. well its all assumptions really from what i've read.....

the shooter for all we know may have not liked the guys shirt and so shot him for that! its the US, anything's possible!

6. It's the best excuse your gonna get if you witness a loved one die.

7. It is no excuse at all. There simply is no excuse for murder.

There may be extenuating circumstances... which may reduce the applicable punishment, but that isn't the same thing at all, or it may be that they killed someone and it isn't murder... it may be manslaughter instead, but again just because it may be a different crime doesn't excuse that either.

8. No excuse for murder indeed. Shits me when they call it an 'accident'. It's a crash. It's not accident that the car driver didn't look before he pulled his 'K' turn (3-pointer?).

Still, if the reason for the shooting was a revenge killing, then I cannot condone that kind of behaviour. I can empathise with it, but can't agree with the method.

9. Big deal,some twat in a car gets popped a few times just after he killed a motorcyclist with an act of stupidity,poetic justice really. :p :LOL: :LOL:

10. R.I.P to the rider

indeed a scary thought that if u run up the back of someone get out to check the damage and they pull a gun on you

11. How do you figure any of that, seeing how the bike ran into the_back_of the car?

U-turns aren't illegal, you know...

12. The article states that "..Williams saw the driver making a U-turn and attempted to slow down and go around. But they said the driver made a K-turn instead and put the car in reverse before Williams had a chance to get out of the way."
    From this I got the impression that the car actually reversed into the motorcycle so the driver was clearly at fault. Still they did get out to check on the rider which is more than can be said of some motorists.

13. The article also states " he struck the back of a Honda Accord turning around in the street, according to witnesses."

Think that through a bit... for that to happen, the bike would've had to have come to a stop and then got collected by the reversing car which would've had to have been moving fast enough to kill the rider.

If this guy had been in the reverse phase of his 3-point turn, he would've been 4-5 seconds into the manoeuvre. If that isn't enough time for a bike to scrub off enough speed to render an impact non-lethal, then... <shrug>

Yup, and he got shot three times for his trouble.

14. It's possible that the rider saw the driver make the first part of the 3-point turn and tried to go around the back of the car thinking they were making a u-turn - only to hit it when it reversed back into his path. Incidentally this is the US so if the rider wasn't wearing a helmet then it would not have taken much of an impact to be fatal. Of course I'm only speculating here based on the info in the article.