Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Driver charged over motorcyclist's death

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by hornet, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Man charged over hit and run
    October 22, 2005

A MAN has been charged after a motorcyclist was killed in a hit-and-run accident in Melbourne.

Andrew Martinez, 25, of Sunshine was charged yesterday with culpable driving, dangerous driving causing death, failing to render assistance and theft of a motor vehicle over the incident, police said.

Two walkers discovered the body of Willem Verhey, 32, from Hoppers Crossing, at an intersection in Truganina in Melbourne's outer-west at about 6am on October 7.

A white Toyota ute, which had been reported stolen from an industrial site 15km away in Williamstown, was allegedly abandoned at the scene.

Police said the ute rolled at least 30 metres after hitting the motorbike.

Martinez was remanded in custody to appear at the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday.
  2. This case should be a bloody murder charge :x, stolen car then left the scene of the accident.
  3. As Roger the Dodger said "Do the croime, do the toime".
  4. It really is about time a decent punishment is handed out to these @rsewipes

"culpable driving, dangerous driving causing death, failing to render assistance and theft of a motor vehicle"

The worst of these charges being "failing to render assistance".

Yup, let murder be an alternative single charge in cases where culpable driving, dangerous driving causing death and failing to render assistance are all involved in the same instance. Might make some turds think twice if a few of their buddies end up with life.

5. bring back the death penality :evil:
  6. Only one thing stops me agreeing with you Glen, and that's the very real chance that they'll sentence the wrong person to death.

If they ever invent an infallible "guilt detector", then yep, bring back the death sentence.

7. I expected more from you on this issue Glen ... what makes this one different to the Lording case where you were very excitable?
  8. OK lets see
    1.culpable driving
    2.dangerous driving causing death
    3.failing to render assistance
    4.theft of a motor vehicle over the incident

now at just a hunch , i recon speeding , breaking and entering and many other laws were broken iin this process , but they are only charging him with the bigger ones , he was and just finished commiting crimes when the incedent took place.
    He had broken into a car or maybe even a premises to get to the car so this shows that he is experianced in it and he has done this before .
    He has no regards for the laws of common society , he has no regards to other people property or life.
    he has no regards for other road users , he has no regards to human life .

well then he should have no problems not living in our society .

I dont want to pay to rehab him with my taxs , or pay the $500+ a day for him to stay in jail.
    I dont want to pay for the lengthy court case where his laywer makes up excuses that he is hardly done by , because he is a druggie or alcoholic or some other reason .

its my opinion , and people can say its to harsh or cruel or what they want but it wont change the way I feel towards these low life cretins.
    because if this incedent didnt happen and he got caught it may be one of our loved ones or mates or family that were killed next time this arsehole did it .
    no time for him or his excuses.
  9. Unusally restrained today, Glen.

You can do better then that. Have a couple of coffees and try again. :p

On topic - there really needs to be a more suitable way of dealingwith these elements of our society. No making excuses for them. I don't care what their state of mind (if they have one), they KNOW what they are doing is wrong, and just don't give a damn. Why do they deserve any form of pity or consideration?

I was at a mate's work in Mitcham the other day and saw the aftermath and grief one of these rectal sphincters can cause. A 6 month old BMW was slammed in the rear by a '96 Mitsubishi station wagon. The driver of the Mitsubishi simply got out of the car and walked off, heading in the direction of Mitcham railway station. Turns out the car was stolen. The police reckoned he will just steal another car and continue on, and sure enough there was a car stolen from the station lot about 20 minutes later.

Suggestion: Cat-o-nine-tails and vinegar.

I doubt that whatever the guy who murdered the rider gets, it will be of little consolation to the rider's family and friends.

Peace be on the souls of the innocents.
  10. About time somebody in Government realised that licence suspensions should begin at the end of a prison term, not the beginning. Doesn't quite go far enough though, surely if a person chooses not to render assistance and the victim dies as a result it should be treated as murder - their death is no longer a result of an accident but due to a deliberate act. Even if the victim survives it should still be grounds for an attempted murder charge.
  11. Let's have the bastard hung, drawn and quatered! :evil:
  12. this will need the total support of the riding community.Think of the family, and what they have gone though. My heart goes out to them.
  13. agree

good idea,i will vote for that for sure