Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DriRider Nordic gloves - thoughts, anyone?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by mjt57, May 30, 2006.

1. Tonight I bought a pair of DriRider Nordic gloves. The blurb on the packaging says that they're waterproof. Obviously this needs to be tested. Also, what made me choose them was that they were the only gloves that I tried that didn't feel like mini straight jackets. They're thick, but not to the point where I can't grab the handlebars without suffering cramps.

Now, while I don't have large hands as such, I found the 2XL size the most comfortable fit.

I was wondering if anyone else here has these gloves, and if so, what do you think? Remember, if you're rating them and you have hand grip warmers then that won't be of relevance to me, as I've yet to cave in and purchase them for my bike.
  2. They are good in the cold. I do have heated handgrips but very rarely use them (less than 5 degrees) with these gloves because of their effectiveness.

However they dont fit under the cuffs of my Dririder Summit2 jacket so when it rains and road speed is low the water runs down the outside of the sleeve and straight into the glove. They then get very cold!
  3. Used those gloves last winter and there were fantastic... I was only borrowing them and my mate took them back so i gotta go get another pair...
  4. That's one of the first things that I noticed - the size of the gauntlets. However, I have a Motodry overjacket that if the weather looks like turning to crap, I'll put on. It's a thin vinyl/plastic kind of material and it's thin, able to be rolled up and stored under the seat or in a bag. I can fit the sleeves of it over the gloves. It's a lot more waterproof than my DriRider jacket and is comfortable to wear, not like a straight jacket or anything.

So, hopefully, with such a setup I'll be able to enjoy dry and warm hands on those crappy days.
  5. can i ask how much they are worth?
  6. I paid about $60 for them. Not sure exactly. Dunno what RRP is.
  7. I always put my gloves on over my jacket sleeves. Its stops the rain and wind being forced up your jacket sleeves. If it's raining and your stopped you need to raise your arms up, but while at speed I never have a problem in the wet.

Also a pair of thermal liners do work wonders for my wife, even in the Dri-Rider Nordics, so she tells me.
    I've been riding to work 25km in the frosty mornings with liners and they do help to keep the fingers warm.
  8. Top gloves, bought some last week and they are great. I too have grip warmers but with the nordics I dont use them unless its 5deg or below.
  9. I have them. My fingers however still get cold. It always seems to be the right hand that the fingers get cold on first. i even bought a pair of dri rider thermals to try and feel warmer but my fingers still get cold. I even try and heat the inside of the gloves first with a hairdryer and still no good. So I am assuming the problem is me and my circulation and not the gloves.
    I must be abnormal. Or I should get some heated hand grips. :?
  10. Nope same problem here. One morning it was below 0 when I headed into work, and my hands were hurting when I got there (takes me 35 minutes to the CBD, about 25kms). I've got decent Alpinestars gloves (supposedly). I've tried those silk liners that were mentioned on here, they did nothing for me, so now I'm trying out some OR fleece ski gloves as liners, not too bad so far but the coldest it's been since I bought them was 3 degrees, and my hands were cold, but not hurting cold, if you know what I mean :)
  11. I had a pair of alpinestars first up (cost me $80) found they are only good to about 5deg totaly useless after that even with gripwarmers. gave them up as a bad joke and bought dririder nordic, much better.
    my advice Jbray, get rid of the alpinestars and get some decent mits. I had to have the grip warmers on low even comming home during the day with the alpinestars up here when temp was 10deg
  12. Speaking of "decent mits", I used to have a pair of mittens. Made from leather and fleecy lined they were brilliant. But I lost one of them somewhere and couldn't find any replacements. This was back in the early 80s.

I've never seen any products like them since.

I think that mitts are better than gloves because you don't have the wind flowing between the fingers, each of which has to be "self-warmed". Whereas, with mittens, your whole hand is in the single airspace within the glove, except for the thumb. This tends to keep your hand warmer.

I've yet to try the DriRider Nordics out in anger. Hopefully they'll be OK.
  13. Cool, thanks, might just do that. I'll buy *another* set of gloves and add them to my range. Actually I read your previous post about being toasty warm in the ice with interest, was meaning to ask what gear you were using. The Alpinestars I bought were like $200 or something too. What a rip!
  14. I have this problem. I bought some crappy winter gloves off Ebay, and they cut off teh curculation to my fingers. It gives the illusion of the gloves letting your fingers get cold. Try wearing them around the house with your hand curled up, bet they get cold.
    I think teh right hand gets colder first in this case because the left hand is more open and relaxed, and is not having blood flow constricted as much.

Regards, Andrew.
  15. Thanks I'll give it a try...
  16. You need the Muffs that fit over the handlebars of your bike.

Keeps hands warm and dry.

Already mentioned in the Winter riding gear Sticky thread under riding gear in the forums.
    Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:01 pm Post subject:
    Handlebar Muffs.

There are at least 2 companies who make and sell them. The original version have the name in large print on the front, the knock offs don't.

I haven't seen them in the shops around here for a couple of years though.

*edit* I just googled 'handlebar muffs' and came up with several links.

Warnings : 1
    Incorrigible Poster

Motorbike/s: BMWR65LS (red of course) and a disappeared Honda Spada

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:10 pm Post subject:

There's also some handguards here for sportsbikes...

I bought Crumpler brand muffs from Bike Barn in Melbourne. I believe there is a Crumpler outlet on the corner of Smith and Gertrude Streets. They may sell them there too.