Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DriRider Nordic boots

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Oct 25, 2008.

1. After an unsuccessful foray into RJays boots with the H20
    aV1WyOrS.
    (too 'deep' from sole to the top of toe on the left boot, making gear-changing difficult) I sold them and was in the market for boots again.

I ended up buying a pair of DriRider Nordic boots
    Pq1X22Vr.

The gear-change problem is no more; these boots are much 'shallower' from the sole to the top of the toes, so after re-adjusting the gear lever to suit, I now no longer have to think about it again.

Although I have not yet ridden in the rain, I have no reason to doubt that the several layers, seen and unseen, of waterproof materials will do their job. In addition the robust YKK zipper is covered by a healthy leather flap, secured by two large pads of velcro.

With the weather warming up I was concerned that such a waterproof boot might be intolerable in the heat, but as far as I can discern, the 'breathing' capabilities of the boot are not understated.

One BIG plus is that, unlike many boots, the zipper reaches right down virtually to the sole, and they are without doubt the easiest boots to put on and take off I have ever tried, or owned. This is depsite the fact that the old Hornet wears a pair of orthotic arch supports in all shoes, these boots included.

I paid around RRP, $159.95, for mine, and while they are not by any means flashy, and have no plastic sliders, and other such features, in my opinion you could spend more for no good reason if all you needed was a servicable, waterproof and reasonably-protecting boot.

• Like Like x 1
  2. :grin: :cool:
    I have the very same boots.
    Wore them on a recent trip from Adelaide to Bendigo and return,very comfy and no sweat up even when walking around town.
    Had every weather condition ol zuse could throw I would rate them very highly happy rides.

3. I ended up buying the Tourers. Still waterproof and I've yet to end up with wet tootsies while wearing them in the rain.

They are a good boot for commuting!

Tip: Wear thick wool or holeproof explorer socks with ya boots. It helps with the air circulation and keeps the boots erm, less stinky.

4. I had a pair of these as my first boots. Value for money I rate them very highly. They are comfortable, water proof and rather warm. After a couple of years of daily use they cracked across the top of the toe on both boots which was probably due to my lack of maintenance.

5. I looked at them too Paul.
    It come down to a choice between the DRs & some Rossi's.
    I found the Rossi more comfy.

6. I wear them. you get 2 years worth of 5-6 days a week riding out of them. Then they fail in a number of areas.

They are good boots without being exceptional. To get the next better boot you need to invest a further $200. Even then I doubt they would be much better.

I'm on my third pair.

7. Ditto, I have these boots as well and they are far more comfortable on hot days than standard boots.

8. Nice boots, how are they protection wise?

I'm tossing up what to get for new boots, I like the Sidi boots but they offer no rain protection so i was thinking about getting those and an overboot for the rain. Has anybody used an overboot to give me a rating or should i pop out for some actual rain boots? I am inclined not to get rain boots because i think you lose quite a bit of protection with them and both times i've come off I have sprained an ankle from having my alpinestar waterproof pair....hence why i am interested in ankle protection :LOL:

9. I'm just approaching the 7 month mark with my Nordics. Despite all Canberra threw at me over winter, they did remain waterproof, though I did also treat them with some Snoseal just to be sure.

However, you can tell why they are cheaper. After the relatively short period of time (for a boot), they are already starting to fall apart. The sole is coming away at several points and the stitching is starting to split. This was from light commuting use (five days a week) plus walking around the shops once a week.

Also from day one I had problems with the zip. The edge of the leather in the gusseting was unevenly trimmed and finished, meaning the edge of the leather constantly catches in the zip. Trimming it only partially solved the problem. While I was probably just unlucky with my pair, the low $ probably means low quality control.

This was my first pair of motorcycle boots, and while they did keep my feet dry and warm, I'm a little disappointed by the short life. I think I might look at the Rossis next as the Rossi hiking boots I owned years ago lasted for years.

10. I have been using SiDi touring boots daily for the last year. They are very comfortable and have never leaked. I was at first unsure of summer use because they're synthetic (Lorica - looks like leather but isn't) but seem to breathe no worse than a leather boot. Like Hornet, I also bought them for the low toe height. Best boots I've ever had.