Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DriRider Airmesh 2 jacket

Discussion in 'Jackets' started by Hasbin, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Hi, I have a little used Dririder Airmesh jacket about 7 years old. Suddenly the protective armour broke up into pieces. Shoulder armour and elbow armour. Always stored inside and never exposed to a fall or impact. Dririder's Brand Manager of McLeod Accessories emailed me a response as follows; "The Rubber will perish overtime especially if kept in a hot place like a garage, when constantly used it stays elastic when used infrequently it looses it's elasticity." I asked about when the effective life of body armour is over and a week later have no response. Makes me ask the question at which point in time was I not protected in the event of a fall.

2. Well I guess that at least you had the feeling of being protected for the last 7 years.

When you think of the protection of armour in a mesh jacket, how much does it really protect you? From what?

I dont know, but I think its probably not as much as you think.
  3. I'm guessing you probably think a helmet will protect you perfectly for decades as well then? 7 years is getting on a bit really ain't it? At least now you can go out and upgrade your gear

Cheers Ryan
  4. Sweat and the elements then storage over time will perish the rubbers, especially after 7 years.