Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dririder Air Ride 3 Jacket Review

Discussion in 'Jackets' started by Auron1, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Coming up to summer I’m sure many riders like myself will be looking for warm weather gear. Here’s a detailed breakdown of my recent purchase, hopefully this helps those of you looking to part with your hard earned.

Ever since I started riding, I’ve been cruising around in a 4 season RST textile, however it was uncomfortable in warm weather even without the liners, and not to mention it looked like poo. Dririder is a well established household name in motorcycle clothing, so after some research I went ahead and ordered the Dririder Air Ride 3 Jacket as a summer replacement. It’s a staple and seems to be one of the popular options in the lineup.

The AR3 is a mesh jacket with a RRP of $199. Mesh, Cordura 600D, CE armour, a thin foam backpad, made in Pakistan.

First Impressions:
    The styling looks sexy and aggressive in the product photos.
    Sadly, upon removing the jacket from the packaging it quickly became apparent the real thing is shapeless, boggy and fits loosely. This would disappoint individuals like myself who were after a sporty fit, however may suit those looking for a loose fit, or those with a bit of gut. Its worthy to note I have a slim build, and I ordered a size small, consistent with the Dririder size guide and every other jacket I have ever worn.

Having said that, the AR3 still looks good both on and off the bike. The material is very thin and mesh panels are see-through, as is to be expected on a summer mesh jacket. The zips are large and smooth to use, and there are good adjustments on biceps, forearms, and waist. The wrist Velcro is useless as an adjustment, appears to be good only for keeping the zip covered.

There is a wind/waterproof liner included. It is thin, soft, comfy and works well. It also suffers from a severe case of shapelessness although this is less of a concern as it is concealed inside the jacket.

The jacket has precurved sleeves, which are annoyingly long. They come up to the web of my thumb. The jacket itself is comfortable, however the shoulder/elbow armour is narrow, hard, and digs into the skin.

Score: 6/10

As mentioned, the jacket is loose and thin (although the latter is not a bad thing for a summer mesh jacket). Despite this the textile panels feel sturdy, and the collar in particular is thick and comfortable.

I’ve taken the jacket for only a single test ride, and the mesh at the front and back of the jacket has been rubbed up and starting to fray from the friction against the strap of my backpack.

There is stitching beginning to come apart around the shoulders, which is perhaps the most concerning.

The jacket comes with CE rated shoulder and elbow protectors. They appear to be a stiff polystyrene foam, and as mentioned above aren’t the most comfortable. The high-density back protector is a nothing more than a thin foam pad.

This jacket does what it’s meant to do very well. I took it for a ride on a sunny 25 degree afternoon, and it vented an impressive amount of air. It was comfortable to wear, and I’m sure it will do well on a hot day. Will post back with further impressions once summer truly hits Melbourne.

I would have to say is minimal, particularly taking into account the quality concerns I have with the jacket. However if you’re looking at mesh gear I’m sure you already know this. Elbow and shoulder armour are CE rated for what its worth.

The AR3 retails for $199, which is not cheap, but not ridiculously overpriced for local gear.

The Dririder Air Ride 3 is a decent summer jacket if you’re looking for something to flow a lot of air and looks good.
    It is not a good jacket if you’re looking for quality, a slim/sporty fit, decent protection in the event of a crash. Neither is it particularly good value, you will do better shopping online from overseas.

This is of course purely my opinion from my impressions so far. I will update in due course
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. good review.

anything that has the stitching coming apart just from wearing it a couple times would concern me.

you mention the lose fit a few times does the armour stay where it is supposed to be or move around in the jacket?

personally I find leathers fine all year round in Sydney and just wear suitable clothes underneath, undies and a wife beater if its a scorcher.
  3. Thanks! Excellent point, this was actually my main concern in terms of protection. For some reason I forgot to include it in my initial impressions.
    I would not trust the armour to stay in place. It seems that textiles in general are inherently a looser fit, and the textile/mesh/pockets are a lot more mobile. A leather jacket can break-in, mould to the wearers body and keep the armour nice and snug where its meant to be.
  4. My thoughts exactly.

I recently went through the process of finding a new summer jacket and this kind of feedback (it's reasonably common) was the reason I didn't go for a dririder in the end.
  5. I just recently bought a Jacket and I tried on several different DriRider models, in one style I needed an M in another an L and another an XL... Ended up buying a runout model Vortex for 189 as it has the d3o flexible armour. Also DriRider have a 12 mth guarantee I was told.